Welcome to the Cotton Town Image Gallery!
Here you will find a selection of photographs and images of Blackburn, Darwen and surrounding areas. The image gallery will continue to develop as new images are constantly added.
Please keep checking the website for recent additions!
The images above were kindly donated to Cotton Town.
The atmospheric shot of Darwen Street Bridge, Blackburn, in the 1960s was taken by Mr John Shorrock. The image on the right was donated by Mr David Hughes whose Aunt is depicted taking part in the Maypole Celebrations in Darwen; Avondale School and houses on Avondale Road frame the background of the image. Mr Hughes has also donated many images taken by his father, John Ceriog Hughes. A huge database of images of streets in Blackburn and Darwen, taken in the late 1970s and early 1980s, by Adrian Lewis, former Curator of Blackburn Museum, is currently in the process of being uploaded. See more images by John Shorrock, John C. Hughes, Adrian Lewis and others! Please enter the image gallery below and use the "Image Collections" search filter.
Blackburn with Darwen Library & Information Service (BwDL&IS) welcomes donations of photographs relating to Blackburn, Darwen and surrounding areas in order to add to our collections and to develop the image gallery.
If you donate or loan of images then you need to consider the following:
- All images donated to us need to be out of copyright otherwise BwDL&IS need to have your written permission in order to digitise and publish them.
- Possession of an image does not necessarily mean you own copyright to the image and copyright laws are strict. The Library Service only accept images where the owner can grant us the right to use copies.
- The image/s supplied will be published on Cottontown.
- BwDL&IS may supply images to customers for their personal study and use.
- The images may be used to promote the work and collections of Blackburn with Darwen Library & Information Service.
Unidentified Images. We need your help! We know very little about some of the photographs held within our collections so if you have any further information about the photographs displayed in the image gallery please contact the Community History Department at Blackburn Library.
Volunteer: Volunteer support is very welcome in order to help us develop the image gallery on Cotton Town. Please contact Blackburn Library 01254 661221.
Contact Details: Please see details below.