Welcome to the Cotton Town Image Gallery! Here you will find a selection of photographs and images of Blackburn, Darwen and surrounding areas. The image gallery will continue to develop as new images are constantly added and the search facilities updated and improved.
Please keep checking the website for recent additions!
The above image was taken by Mr John Shorrock, past President of Blackburn Camera Club in the 1960s during the redevelopment of "Penny Street", Blackburn. In 1962, Blackburn Library asked Camera Club members to take photographs of redevelopment areas and the images in John's collection, which he has kindly donated to Cotton Town, reflect the result of his work on the project. Affectionately entitled "Mucky Kids" after the "Liverpool Lullaby" song made famous by Cilla Black, Cotton Town would like to know if anyone recognises the children captured in the image above?
Top Tip! If you would like to see more of John Shorrock's images of 1960s Blackburn please enter the image gallery below and use the "Image Collections" search option and look for "Shorrock, John". More of John's donated images will be added over the next few weeks.
Blackburn with Darwen Library & Information Service (BwDL&IS) welcomes donations of photographs relating to Blackburn, Darwen and surrounding areas in order to add to our collections and to develop the image gallery.
If you donate or loan of images then you need to consider the following:
- All images donated to us need to be out of copyright otherwise BwDL&IS need to have your written permission in order to digitise and publish them.
- Possession of an image does not necessarily mean you own copyright to the image and copyright laws are strict. The Library Service only accept images where the owner can grant us the right to use copies.
- The image/s supplied will be published on www.cottontown.org
- BwDL&IS may supply images to customers for their personal study and use.
- The images may be used to promote the work and collections of Blackburn with Darwen Library & Information Service.
Unidentified Images. We need your help! We know very little about some of the photographs held within our collections so if you have any further information about the photographs displayed in the image gallery please contact the Community History Department at Blackburn Library.
Volunteer: Volunteer support is very welcome in order to help us develop the image gallery on Cotton Town. Please contact Blackburn Library 01254 661221.
Telephone: 01254 661221