The church of St. Mary and St. John the Baptist was built between 1816 and 1819. It was built by John Francis Butler as a thanksgiving for his recovery from an accident.
John Palmer of Manchester was the architect of this 'astonishing church' to use Pevsner's words. A number of architectural styles and conventions contribute to the overall effect. It is a Grade 1 listed building, one of only two in the Borough, the other being Turton Tower.
back to top
There is a First and Second World War memorial at Sacred Heart Church on Veronica Street in Darwen. It is inscribed 'In Holy Remembrance of men of this parish who nobly laid down their lives in the Great War of 1914-1918'. "It is better for us to die in battle than to see the evils of our nation". There are fifty-four names listed on the memorial and a Roll of Honour for the Second World War.
There is a First World War memorial at St. Alban's Church, Larkhill Street, Blackburn. It is inscribed 'Pray for the souls of the men of this parish who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1918'. There is a sculpture 'Pieta' which is Christ taken from the cross in the arms of Mary. It is marble on a brown oynx base on a white marble plinth. There are 2 marble plaques (on either side of the sculpture) which are surmounted by a carved cross.
View of World War One memorial plaque at St. Joseph's Church on Bolton Road in Darwen.
back to top