Duckworth Street Congregational Church |​​ Highfield United Reformed Church
Hollins Grove Congregational Church | Lower Chapel United Reformed ChurchSpring Vale Methodist Church Tockholes United Reformed Church | Bolton Road United Reformed Church | Central United Reformed Church
Bolton Road Baptist Chapel | Hoddlesden Wesleyan Chapel | Lynwood United Methodist Church 
Red Earth Road Primitive Methodist | Salvation Army | Bolton Road Wesleyan Institute 
Bolton Road Wesleyan Church

  ​

Duckworth Street Congregational Church

Duckworth street ON CT.jpg 

 

This church was located on Duckworth Street, Darwen.
Its Memorial was a brass tablet in an oak frame with carved inscription in black lettering there is a single line border around each section of text. It has a leaf design at the top centre of the tablet. The whole is set in the wall of the church. The Inscription reads;

1914 1918
 To The Glory Of God And The Immortal Memory Of The
Gallant Men Of This Church And Sunday School
Who Gave Their Lives For Justice
 Truth And Liberty In The Great War
Names
This Tablet Was Added To The Existing War Memorial In Memory Of The Men Of This Church
Who Gave Their Lives In The World War
 Names
 Their Glory Shall Not Be Blotted Out
Their Bodies Are Buried In Peace But Their Name Liveth For Evermore
 1939 - 1945

Names of the 35 men;

Ashton, Ralph S.; Cocker, Moses; Crook, H.; Duxbury, James; Eccles, Edgar E.; Eccles Ralph: Eccles, Tom; Entwistle, Albert; Entwistle Joseph; Hall, Thomas; Hall, William; Halliwell, James A.; Hargreaves, Edward, Hargreaves Stafford; Hargreaves, Stanley; Haworth, Squire; Holden William Thomas; Houghton, Thomas; Lee, John; Leigh Thomas; Lomax, Cecil; Martin, Albert E.; Marsden, Albert; Marsden, Alfred; Mossop, Fred; Neville, John; Pickup, George; Servais, Victor Leon; Thompson, Edgar; Thompson, Harry; Waring, Fred; Walkden, Johnathan; Williams, George; Worswick, Albert; Yates, James.

The memorial was unveiled and dedicated on Sunday 29th August 1920 by the Rev. Hamilton John.

On Saturday the 10th of January 1920, photographs of those men of the church and school who had given their lives in WW1 were unveiled at Duckworth Street Congregational school by the Rev. Professor E.J. Price. The photographs were inlaid in a buff mounting within a frame and under each were the names of the men. An inscription read:

In Memory of 1914–1919

Duckworth Street Congregational Sunday School, Darwen.

WW2

The WW2 Memorial is part of the above  Memorial
In 1996 the Memorial was renovated and re-mounted on a new oak board.

Darwen Advertiser: 17th January 1920, 3 September 1920.
Darwen Gazette: 4th September 1920.
Blackburn Times: 4th September 1920.
Blackburn Weekly Telegraph: 17th January 1920.
War Memorial Ref. No.: 18587.


 
  

Highfield U.R.C. is located on Highfield Road.
Its War Memorial is a wooden communion table with two brass plaques placed side by side, one for WW1 and the other for WW2. On the first plaque the inscription reads;

To The Memory Of The Men
 Who From This Church And School
Made The Supreme Sacrifice
 In The Great War
 1914 – 1918
Their Names Liveth For Evermore

The other plaque has the inscription;

To The Memory Of The Men
 Who From This Church And School
 Made The Supreme Sacrifice
 In World War Ii
 1939 – 1945
 Their Names Liveth For Evermore

There are no names given on the Memorial.

War Memorial Ref. No. 51315


 

Hollins Grove Congregational Church is located at Hawkshaw Avenue, Darwen.
The memorial is a mosaic erected in the chancel. It contains a reproduction of Leonardo da Vinci's “The Last Super" with side tablets
At the very top is the Inscription:

Greater Love Hath No Man ThanThis That A Man Lay Down His Life For His Friends

The left-hand tablet:

To
The Greater Glory
 Of God
 And In Undying Memory
 Of Those
 From This Church
Who Left All
And Gave Their Lives
In The Cause
 Of Righteousness
In The Great War
Ad 1914–1919

And at the bottom

This Do In Remembrance Of Me

The right-hand tablet contains the name of the 21 men who gave their lives, they are;
Bowron, H.; Duerden, J.; Hamblett, W.; Holden, J.; Holden, J.; Holden, T.; Hollows, F.; Hollows, H.; Kay, W.; Lawreson, R.; Lawreson, W.; Lightbown, B. Longworth, G.W.; Longworth, H.; Longworth, L.; Longworth, W.H.; Marsden, J.; Marsden, W.; Pickup, J.W.; Sprague, B.; Sprague, J.;

The Memorial was unveiled by Major Hubert B. Eccles and dedicated by the Rev. C. Nicholson on the 10th April 1921.


 
jhg1.jpg 
 WW2
There is a World War Two Memorial on polished oak board in the form of a scrawl.
An Inscription reads:

In Thanks Giving For All Those
Associated With This Church Who Served
Their Country During The World War
1939–1945
And In Grateful And Honoured Memory Of
The Following Who Paid The Supreme Sacrifice
Names
We Will Remember Them

The 4 names on the board of those who gave their lives are;
Bush. Rev William G., Pastor 1935–1940; Jeffrey, William; Jepson, Eric; Ward, Joseph W.
 

jhjg2.jpg 
  World War Two Memorial Plaque
 Blackburn Weekly Telegraph: 16th April 1921.
War Memorial Ref. No.; 51316, 51317.
 
Lower Chapels large_15989.jpg 
Lower Chapel United Reformed Church
 World War One and Two Memorial

© Albert Gavagan (WMR-18589)

The Chapel is located at Chapel's, Darwen.
The WWI Memorial tablet is of Sicilian Marble and is situated in the porch of the chapel. It is of white marble, measuring 5ft by 3ft. The work was carried out by the Darwen Sculptors Redman Brothers. An inscription reads:

IHS
The Great War 1914–19
Erected To The Glory Of God And The Beloved Memory
Of The Members Of This Church And Sunday School Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice

It contains the names of 32 members of the Chapel and Sunday School who gave their lives, they are;

Aspden, William E; Bury Thomas H.; Baron Richard; Bale William H.; Crompton, John E.; Davies William; Duxbury James; Entwistle, John; Entwistle Walter; Entwistle Richard; Ellison, Ernest; Fowden, James; Higham, Herbert; Hacking, Leonard; Hunter, George; Holden John; Kay, William K.; Lightbown, William; Martin, Albert E.; Martin William;  Marsden Richard; Marsden John T. Marsden John H.; Mather, Amos; Mills, Fred; Riley, Gilbert; Smith, Jonathan E.; Smalley, William; Walsh, Anyon; Walsh, Joseph K.; West, William E.; Young, William E.

The Memorial was unveiled by William Crompton and dedicated by Rev A. Bond on Sunday 30th January 1921.

WWII
Is at the bottom of the WWI Memorial
An Inscription reads

Greater Love Hath No Man Than This, That A Man Lay Down His Lfe For His Friends 1939–1945

The one man who gave his life was;
Kenneth Billington.

large_15989_inscr.jpg
Lower Chapel United Reformed Church
World War One and Two Memorial Names
© Albert Gavagan (WMR-18589)

Darwen News: 5th February 1921.
Darwen Advertiser: 4th Feb 1921.
Blackburn Weekly Telegraph: 5th February 1921
War Memorial Ref. No.: 18589

 
One of the names featured on the War Memorial is that of Private Lee Haslam. He was in the 2nd Battalion of the King's Liverpool Regiment. He died aged 30 on August 14th, 1918. He was the son of Richard and Sarah Jane Haslam and husband of Jane, 111, Cranberry Lane, Darwen. He was buried at the Quetta Government Cemetery XXXXIII C 2990 which was then in India, now Pakistan. The 2nd Battalion of the "The Kings" was stationed in India throughout the First World War.
 
He still has 2 grand children, great grand children and great, great granchildren living in Darwen.
 
 
  
 View of a headstone from World War One belonging to
Private James Holland at Tockholes United Reformed Church.
 
View of a headstone from World War One belonging to 
Rifleman Harold Atkinson at Tockholes United Reformed Church.

 
 A photograph at Tockholes United Reformed Church which 
is a memorial to those who died during World War One.
 
The Lych gate at Tockholes United Reformed Church
which is a memorial to those who died during World War One and Two.

 
 View of the World War One memorial plaque on the Lych gate at Tockholes United Reformed Church. 
  The names on the plaque are Fred Nightingale, Richard Hoskin,
John Beesley, John Preston, Roland Alston and Herbert Smalley.

 
 View of the World War Two memorial plaque on the Lych gate at Tockholes United Reformed Church. 
The names are: John Cooper and James Victor Catterall.
 
 
 

Bolton Road United Reformed Church

 

The Church was located on Bolton Road, Darwen.
The Memorial was of bronze with on a domed top, on this was a cross with HIS—the name of Jesus—entwined into it, it was originally mounted on a black marble base. There is a boarder around the tablet decorated with flowers and leaves.  An inscription on the tablet reads;

In Loving Memory Of The Men Who Gave
Their Lives In The Great War
1914–1919
Names
Greater Love Hath No Man Than This
Their Names Liveth On For Evermore.

The names on the of the 16 men who gave their lives are given in three columns they are;
Ainsworth, Fred; Bury, Thomas; Calvert, Herbert; Calvert, William; Calvert, Thomas; Denny, Thomas H.; Hall, John W.; Hedditch, George; Holden, Ben, B.; Holden, Herbert; Jepson, Herbert; Kay, William; Lightfoot, Norman; Lowe, Hubert; Marsden, John T.; Smith, Ernest;
The unveiling was performed by T. Walmsley, church secretary, and the dedication by the Rev. Benjamin Bee, on Sunday 18th April 1920.

Bolton Road Congregational Church 51310.jpg
WW1 Memorial Contains 16 Names
© Albert Gavagan (WMR-51310)


WW2
Just beneath the WW1 Memorial is a square brass tablet with the following inscription:

In Everlasting Remembrance Of The Men Of This Church
Who Gave Their Lives In The 1939–1945 War
Names
They Died That We May Live

The names of the 8 men are;
Cooper, Leslie; Fish, Wilfred; Harwood, Ernest; Haslam, Leslie W.; Sanderson, Claude; Sharples, Frank; Smith, Harry; Walmsley, Alfred.

Bolton Road United Reformed WW2.jpg
 WW2 Memorial Contains 8 Names
© Albert Gavagan (WMR-51310)

Darwen News: 24th April 1920.
Darwen Advertiser: 23th April 1920.
Darwen Gazette: 24th April 1920.
Blackburn Weekly Telegraph 24th April 1920.
War Memorial Ref. No.: 51310, 51311


 

 

Bolton Road Wesleyan Church

The Memorial comprised a large tablet of Sicilian marble mounted on brown stone. It was built into the wall of the vestibule of the chapel.
An inscription read;
In Memory of Our Comrades Who Died That We Might Live

Then followed the names of the 17 men who gave their lives—no names given.
There then follows, in four columns, the names of 100 men from the Church and Sunday School who served in the services—no names given. The Work was carried out by Messrs. Braithwaite and Sons and various masons.
Accompanying the marble tablet was an oak frame containing the photographs of the 17 men who died.
The memorial was unveiled Sunday 4th July 1920 by John Tomlinson, Superintendent of the Sunday School
 
Darwen News: 10th July 1920 

Central United Reformed Church

 
The Central United Reformed Church in Duckworth Street, Darwen was formerly know as Duckworth Street Congregational Church.
 In the new worship centre there are two War memorials:
 The first for the Duckworth Street War Dead of the two World Wars and a large wooden Communion table dedication to the War Dead from Belgrave Congregational Church. This church this still exists because it is a listed building and is now being developed for flats by a private owner.
 On the Central Memorial you can find the names of several church members and associates. There were 11 Scouts from Duckworth Street Scout Group including Jonathan Walkden and Victor Servies who died in the Great War and an Accrington Pal named George Pickup who was a church member.The service of Scouts, then Boy Scouts was mentioned in the Troop log as ,"Eight members of our members have joined Lord Kitcheners Army". Of course these were not the only ones as more joined and sadly were killed as the war progressed.
 View of plaques on the rear wall of the Central United Reformed Church on Duckworth Street, Darwen which are a memorial for men who were killed during World War One and Two.  The names on the plaque for World War One are: Ralph Ashton, Moses Cocker, James Duxbury, Edgar E. Eccles, Ralph Eccles, R. Thomas Eccles, Albert Entwistle, Thomas Hall, William Hall, James A. Halliwell, Ed. Hargreaves, Stafford Hargreaves, Stanley Hargreaves, Squire Haworth, Wm. Thomas Holden, Thomas Houghton, John Lee, Thomas Leigh, Cecil Lomax, Albert Marsden, Alfred Marsden, Albert E. Martin, Fred Mossop, John Neville, George Pickup, Victor Leon Servais, Edgar Thompson, Jonathan Walkden, Fred Waring, George Williams, Albert Worstwick and James Yates.  The names on the plaque for World War Two are: Ronald Marsden and John Shorrock.
 
 
 
View of a plaque on the Communion Table from Belgrave Meeting House 
as a memorial for men killed during World War Two.  
The names on the plaque are: Norman Ellison, Edwin Kay and Levi Livesey Kay.

 
jcurc3.jpg 
View of a plaque on the Commu​​nion Table from Belgrave Meeting House
as a memorial for men killed during World War One. 

back to top 
 

Bolton Road Baptist Chapel


 
This Baptist Chapel was located on Bolton Road, Darwen.
The memorial (no description given) contained the names, photographs and date of death of 8 men belonging to the church who gave their lives in WW1.
An Inscription reads:

 
We Thank God For Every Remembrance Of Those True
British Heroes Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice In
The Great European War
1914–1919.
From The Baptist Woman’s Roll Of Honour Class
Greater Love Hath No Man Than This That
A Man Lay Down His Life For His Friend
Their Names Liveth For Evermore

The names of the 8 Men were;
Atherton, John; Elder, James; Hague, Joseph E.; Heyes, Thomas; Leach, Hubert; Ratcliffe, James B.; Ratcliffe, William; Williams, John.

The Memorial was unveiled by Gladys Williams, the daughter of the first man from the chapel to give his life, and dedicated by the Rev E.J. Corden, Pastor, on Sunday the 10th August 1919.
Darwen Gazette: 16th August 1919.

​​back to top​​

Hoddlesden Wesleyan Chapel

The Wesleyan Chapel was located on Queen Street, Hoddlesden.
The Memorial took the form of a Tablet on which was inscribed;

To The Glory Of God And In Grateful
Memory Of Those Connected with
This Chapel Who Gave Their Lives
In The In The Great European War
1914–1919
Names
Greater Love Hath No Man That
He Lay Down His Life

The names of the 7 men who gave their lives were;
Briggs, R.; Briggs, T.H; Johnson, T; Marsden, H.; Marsden, N.; Riley; C.; Summerfield, R.

The Memorial was unveiled by Mr. Bateson and dedicated by the Rev W.H. Gibb on Sunday 31st July 1921.
Blackburn Times: 6th August 1921.
Blackburn Weekly Telegraph: 6th August 1921.
War Memorial Ref. No.: 51345.

This Church was located on Lynwood Road.
The Memorial was an oak Mural tablet containing the names of 7 members of the Church and Sunday School who gave their lives and the names of the members who served in WW1.It was unveiled on 5th March 1922 by Earnest Nightingale.
No further information at this time.

Darwen News: 11th March 1922
Blackburn Weekly Telegraph: 11th March 1922.


Red Earth Road Primitive Methodist

Redearth Road 3.jpg
© Tony Foster (WMR-42314)

Location of Church Red Earth Road (demolished 1964–1965).
The Original memorial was a marble tablet with the names of 31 men from the Church and School who gave their lives in WWI. The Memorial was unveiled by the Rev. John Hodges on Sunday 5th September 1920. In October 1964 the church was due for demolition, and so the trustees of the church with the help of the Town Council found a site in Darwen’s Western Cemetery between the two lodge houses. In 2010 the stone was rediscovered by the Friends of Darwen Cemetery, but it was broken in two, with the right-hand section missing, along with the names.

Redearth Road 1.jpg
© Tony Foster (WMR-77688)


Fortunately the names of the men together with the inscription was reported in the Darwen Weekly Advertiser of Friday 10th September 1920.
The Inscription reads;

1914–1919
This Tablet Was Erected To The Memory Of The Men Of The Church
And Sunday School Who Fell In The Great European War
Names
These Are They Which Came Out Of Great Tribulation

The names of the 31 men are;
Ainsworth, Thomas; Bennetts, Nicholas V.; Briggs, Joseph R.; Briggs Ralph; Brindle, John C.; Bury, Hubert; Duckworth, Wallace; Eccles, Harry; Harwood, Edward; Harwood, Samuel; Harwood, William, H.; Haworth, Hubert; Jackson, Benjamin; Jepson, Hubert A.; Jepson Samuel; Kay, Harold; Kirkham, William T.; Lomax, John Richard; Neville, John; Sculley, John; Shorrock, Ralph; Smith, Fred; Smith, James; Smith, William J.; Taylor, Samuel; Walkden, John W.; Ward, James H.; Ward, Samuel; Whalley, Irving; Williams, Frank; Woodall, Walter.
A granite replica was made by Brent Stephenson Memorials Ltd. with the help of Gwen and Allan Hampson of Dumfries. The replica was placed opposite the Cross of Sacrifice in the Western Cemetery, close to the war memorial from the former Park Road Primitive Methodist Church. The original memorial was repaired and is now located in the Darwen Aldridge Community Academy.

Redearth Road 2.jpg
© Tony Foster (WMR-42314)

Darwen Weekly Advertiser 10th September 1920.
Blackburn Times: 11 September 1920.
War Memorial Ref. No.: 77688.
Booklet: Redearth Road Methodist Church War Memorial, by Tony Foster.

​​back to top​​


 

Salvation Army

This marble Memorial tablet, for the Wood Street Corps of the Salvation Army was set in the wall of Wood Street Hall. The names of those who gave their lives were inscribed on it in gilt lettering. There is no information as to any other inscription. The names of the 19 men who gave their lives are;
Briggs, E.; Briggs, J.; Briggs, J.; Briggs, J.H; Briggs, W.; Chadwick, W.; Cox, H.; Crook, T.; Farnworth, A.; Field, T.; Green, J.W.; Heap, J.; Lomax, J.J.; Morris, W.; Pickup, H.; Richardson, W.T.; Smith, J.; Taylor, S.; Turnbull, D.;
The Memorial was unveiled on Sunday 2nd May 1920 by Captain Trendell.
Darwen News: 8th May 1920.

​​back to top​​


 Bolton Road Wesleyan Institute

This WW1 Memorial consisted of two rooms in connection with the school set aside for the institute. There was a billiard table in each room and other arrangements for games. The Darwen News states that “nearly 150 of the boys and young men in connection with the Bolton Road Wesleyan Sunday School have seen service in the war” It also says, that 16 of these men gave their lives and that 71 had made the supreme sacrifice from the Bolton Road, Railway Road and Blackburn Road Churches.
The informal Opening of the institute took place on Saturday 12th April 1919.
Darwen News: 19th April 1919.

​​back to top​​