St. Mary's was an important church as far back as the 14th century and there was a Norman church there before that. A new church was built in 1820. Manchester architect John Palmer was engaged and the result was an impressive building in the Gothic revival style.
The diocese of Blackburn was created in 1926 and in the 1930s work began on an enlarged cathedral, using the parish church as the nave. The war interrupted work, but it continued in 1950 and went on into the 1960s. The distinctive lantern tower was designed by Laurence King, who came to the project in 1961, after the death of architect W. A. Forsythe.
Railings, piers, lampholders and statue at east end of Cathedral churchyard
Cathedral Gateway, Top of Church St.