The Savoy, which opened in 1922, introduced talkies to Blackburn in 1929. There is some controversy as to which the first such film was. It could be "Broadway Melody", "The Singing Fool", with Al Jolson or "Curly Top", with Shirley Temple. It was controlled by the Yorke family who were well known in Blackburn's theatre world. It was leased to A.B.C. in 1931. In 1957 it closed. It re-opened as a bingo hall and social club.