Corporation Park 1800's Timeline
- 1845 A sum of £4701 19s 7d was raised towards the purchase and implementation of the park by the sale of land on the Town's Moor.
- 1855 Purchase of Corporation Park by the then Mayor, Mr. Thomas Dugdale, for the Corporation, from Mr. Joseph Feilden. Fifty acres at £65 per acre.
- 1855 Work commences on the Preston New Road entrance by Messrs Roberts and Walmsley, awarded the contract to build the arch and lodge at a cost of £789. The East and West lodges were constructed at this time.
- 1857 Three of the four fountains in the park built and paid for by Mayor William Pilkington, including the largest at the main entrance built by Varley's of Blackburn.
- 1857 Two Russian cannons captured from Sebastopol during the Crimean War presented to the town as a Trophy by Lord Panmure, the Secretary of War. Mounted on a stone-faced battery at the top of the park.
- 1857 The Grand Opening of Corporation Park performed by Mayor William Pilkington, with an estimated 60,000 people in attendance within the grounds.
- 1863-64 The Broad Walk, and the adjoining paths leading to the upper slopes, are constructed providing work for hundreds of cotton operatives during the Cotton Famine. The paths were paved with stones from the quarries on the upperslope.
- 1867 The land of the Red Rake Farm on Revidge Road was purchased by the Council with the aim of adding it to the enclosure of the park at some future date. The land cost £1,200, and was intended for sporting use including tennis courts and bowling greens.
- 1869 Two lime trees planted in front of the 1908 Preston New Road entrance.
- 1871 The statue of 'Flora', the Roman Goddess of flowers and spring were presented. The statue was the work of Thomas Allen of Liverpool.