​Blackburn Encyclopedi​a M-P​

​Madge Hill Bank (1898) Salesbury
Magistrates

Borough Magistrate's Clerk's office Town Hall (1889); Sessions House Northgate (1930-2001);          

clerk: George Riley (1878-89) Malam Brothers (1900-30) Thomas J Backhouse (1930-42) George Leach (1951)

Maiden House Farm (1870) Pleasington                                   John Becconsall (1870)

Majestic Cinema & Cafe King William Street                see Exchange Picture Hall

Major's (1724) the only house standing at the corner of Preston Old Road and Livesey Branch Road

Malt Street (1878-1966) 27 Snig Brook Cunningham's and T & W Thwaites Ltd Brewery (1903) Nos 5 7 & 9

The Maltings next to Audley House Reform Club on Audley Lane             

maltster: W Lamb (1903)

Malvern Avenue (1903) Geraldine Street / Marlton Road Nos 1-25 and 2-26

Malvern Mill Shorrock Lane owned by Malvern Mill Co Ltd (1915) cotton manufacturers later George Taylor Bros (Mill Hill) Ltd (1930) followed by Vandor Mill Co Ltd (1939) cotton manufacturers and  John Thompson & Co (Blackburn) Ltd (1958) who had 540 looms

Managers' Mutual Association 208 London Road (1929) 9 Cromer Place (1941)

Manchester & County Bank Ltd. (Natwest) 37 King William Street (1864); Came to Blackburn in 1864. New building opened Monday 31st January 1891. Architects Mills and Murgatroyd of Manchester with Simpson and Duckworth of Blackburn executing the fittings costing £11/12,000 County Club occupied the upper storey.

Branch Lower Darwen (1903).                  manager: J S Pollitt (1878-1903); William Carmichael (1915)

Manchester Evening Chronicle branch office 4 Mill Lane; 

          manager: H Walsh (1903); William Jones (1912-15)

Manchester Evening Courier Fleming Square                        agent: R Culshaw (1915)

Manchester & Liverpool District Banking Co. Ltd. King William Street (1878);   

           manager: William Gibson (1878-81); David Bennie (1903); H A Champion (1915)

Manchester & Northern Counties Costers' Union 58 Victoria Street        

secretary: William Reed (1903)

Manchester to Carlisle Royal Mail began running through Blackburn on Sunday 28th May 1809

Manchester Unity of Oddfellows Unity Hall Regent Street (1941)

Manitoba Close (1980)

Manner Sutton Street (1836) 63 Eanam Nos 16/38

Manor House can be seen on Charles Haworth's drawing of Old Salford Bridge. It was the tiny, two-storied structure with an outside staircase adjoining its north-east parapet. Built in 1783 by John Barlow a butcher (supposedly in one day) it was demolished in 1846 for the improvements. The last tenant was Mr Newton a clogger

Manor Mews (1980)

Manor Road (1929) previously Long Row off Crosshill Road

Manxman Road (1958) Sunny Bank Road

Maple Street (1870-1980) off 116 Whalley (New) Road Nos 3-39 and 2-48

Mardale Farm (1930-42)

Margaret Street (1929) St Ives Road

Margaret Ann Street (1870-1959) 28 Hannah Street No 19

Maria Street (1903-66) off Marsden Street Mill Hill 1 & 32

Maricourt Avenue (1958) Accrington Road Intack named after World War 1 French village adopted by Blackburn Corporation

Market (top of Church Street) originally held on Mondays until 1774 when it was held on Wednesdays and Saturdays

(Open) Market (116 years old) covered an area of 12,000 sq yds totalling 310 stalls of which 180 were on the square on Victoria Street. 15 men were employed to erect and dismantle the wood and sheeted stalls, up on Wednesday down on Thursday, part up on Friday complete by Saturday morning. In between it acted as a car-park and wholesale fruit and vegetable market. Closed Saturday 7th November 1964.

(New) Market (12 ¾ acres), covered market, market hall and wholesale market in new town centre development opened by Alderman George Eddie OBE JP, civic development chairman, 11 November 1964 by unveiling plaque. Replacing an outdoor market of some 300 canvas-covered stalls there are a total of 330 shops and stalls.  Constructed by Leonard Fairclough Ltd. At a cost of £1,000,000 including the pedestrian subway.

Winner of NALGO Accolade for Enterprise 1965 and commended Civic Trust report 1967.

Market Cross stood at the junction of Church Street and Darwen Street

Market Ground 38 cabins

Market Hall (House) (1848) King William Street was designed by Terence Flanaghan and opened 28th January 1848 (2,253 sq.yds) by Improvement Committee and demolished 30th December 1964. Fish Market added 19th January 1872 having moved from Lord Street. Great fire in No. 2 Market Hall on 19-20 November 1920 damage estimated at £50,000. It was extended in 1934 containing lock-up shops, restaurants, public conveniences, and a Dance or Lecture Room for small parties. Mkt Hall No1 Nos 1-10 and 28 stalls

inspector: George Ainsworth (1870);                   

Occupants in 1950s: Redmans; Blackburn Co-op; J Walsh Ltd.; Holden's; Palatine; Joe Littler; A Tunnicliffe Ltd.; Evans; R J Kirkup; Strack's; B Lucas; W Bleasdale and Coars;

superintendent: J R Peel (1924-42);

Market Hall No. 2 (1878) top of the main market square 5 stalls

Market Hall Clock

The tower was 72 ft high topped by an 18 ft mast holding a copper ball, 4 ft diameter and 15 st in weight.

Demolished 30th December 1964. The clock mechanism dating from 1881 is now in Liverpool's Museum.

Market Street (1929) Spring Lane Witton

Market Street Lane (1795) between Back Lane and 14 Darwen Street Nos 3-13 and 4-14

Market Superintendent's office Victoria Buildings Market Place (1930-51)                                                                                                           superintendent: J R Peel (1915-51

Markham Street (1906-1962) Road (1963) 43 Preston Old Road Witton

Marlborough Road (1980)

Marlton Road (1929) 2 Longshaw Lane previously Geraldine Street (1926)

Marquis Close (1980)

Marsden House (1843) east off road from Billinge End Road to Pleasington

Marsden Street (1929) Bower Street Mill Hill

Marsden Terrace (1903-30) 54 Oswald Street

Marsh Street (1903) 131 London Road Nos 1-25

Mary Street (1888-1980) 44 William Hopwood Street Nos 4-68

Mary Ann Street (1836-1929) Branch Road (51 Montague Street) Nos 5-49 and 4-62 Thomas Whewell Victoria Brewery (1903)

Mary Ann Street (1870) Milton Street / Dock Street

Mary Ann Street back (1878) 4 Mary Ann Street

Mary Ellen Street (1870-1966) 48 Greaves Street / George Street No 2

Maryport Close (1980)

(Blackburn) Masonic Hall Co. Ltd. club Lord Street (1912-15) Richmond Terrace (1924-2002)                                                                                                see Orange Hall

secretary: G G Dickinson (1912-15); C Dixon (1924-5); Frank Osborne (1930-35); Harry Smith (1939-42)

Masonic Ball held at the Town Hall 23/2/1857 attended by 400 ladies and gentlemen

Maternity and Child Welfare centres

Ragged school, Bent Street; All Saints' school, Bolton Road; Kendal Street School; Griffin Parochial Hall; St. Jude's school, Hozier Street; Church Institute, Cornelian Street; Bentham Street school (1939-51)

Maternity Home Springfield Preston New Road (1937-41)

Matthew Street (1899-1903) Stephen Street Mill Hill Nos 1 & 3 and 2-10

Maudsley Street (1885-1980) 77 Higher Audley Street Nos 3-99 and 2-126

Maudsley Street British School (1878-1903) mixed and infants

Maudsley Street (Primitive Methodist) Council School (1912-30) mixed and infants

Mavis Road (1929) Gorse Road

Mavis Street (1966)

Mawdsley Street (1870) 77 Higher Audley Street / Walpole Street

Mayfield (1878) 50 Preston New Road

Mayfield Terrace (1903-30) Cherry Tree Nos 12-30

May House (1929-58) Preston New Road corner of St Silas' Road

May Street (1903-80) off Walter Street Nos 2-12

Mayfield (1929) Park Crescent

Mayfield (1929) 50 Preston New Road

Mayfield Road (1966)

Mayfield Street (1958) School Street

Mayfield Terrace (1929) Cherry Tree

Mayflower Street (1929) Marsden Street

Maynard Street (1929) Shear Brow

Mayson Street (1878-1980) 35 Lower Audley Street Nos 1-13

McKinley Terrace (1903-30) 128 Accrington Road

Meadow Croft (1750)

Meadow Lane (1853-1980) 10 Pitt Street Nos 1-23 and 2-30

Meadow Rise (1980)

Meadow Street (1852) Whalley (New) Road

Meadow Street (1870-80) 42 Lower Audley Street Nos 1-47 and 2-52

Meadowhead (Medowheade, Meddhead, Meddowhead) (1624) Brothers Street

Meadowhead County Infant School (1992-99) Shorrock Lane

Meadowhead C Junior School (opened 1974) Anglesey Street. Extended in 1994 and a further classroom added 2001 to accommodate 358 pupils.

Meadow Head Farm (1832) Ramsgreave

Meadowhead Farm (1870-81) Livesey / Lower Darwen                                             

John Baron (1870); Thomas Marsden (1870); Henry Sharples (1870); Thomas Walkden (1870); James Heys (1870)

Meadowhead House (1931) from Brothers Street Mill Hill

Meadow Head Lane (1966)

Meanheys (1750)

Mecca Ballroom (Bingo) (18/11/1959-closed October 2001)             see Olympia Theatre/ Locarno

Mechanic's Institute Market Street Lane (1844-52); King Street (1856);

President: Joseph Feilden (1844) co-secretaries: J Baxter Langley and Alexander Emmett (1844)  secretary: J Banister (1852); librarian: Joseph Hodgson (1852)

Meins Croft (1980)

Meins Lane (1903) 10 houses

Meins Road (1929) Preston New Road

Melbourne Mill Fort Street Daisyfield owned by Thomas Sagar (1870) cotton manufacturer then E & T Kirk (1878) cotton spinners & manufacturers. James Fish (1891) 300 looms shirtings and jacconettes.

Melbourne Street (1929) Brothers Street

Mellor (Malve, Meleor, Meller) (1130)

Mellor Street (1929) Shear Brow

Melville Drive (1980)

Melville Street (1929-66) 12 Nightingale Street

Mercantile Bank of Lancashire Ltd. 1 Railway Road

                                                                                    manager: Charles H Gardner (1903)

Merchant Street (1824-1959) 24 Ainsworth Street

Merchant Street (1791) Park Road Grimshaw Park. Workhouse erected here and it became known as Workhouse Lane

Merchant Street Mill off Ainsworth Street (1852-78) owned by William Alston & Co cotton spinners & manufacturer then Merchant Street Spinning Co (Blackburn) Ltd (1878) cotton spinners

Mereclough Avenue (1958)

Merlin Road (1903) Revidge Road 17 families

Merlyn Terrace (1912) Wares Street 

Meta Street (1929-80) Abraham Street

Mickle Hey Farm (1902)

Mickle Heys (Michael Hey, Michill Heyes, Michleheyes, Micklehey, Mickelheyes, Mickleheys, Micklhey, Miclehey, Micleheyes, Mikehey) (1505) St Michael's Parish

Middle Bank Lane (1841-63) small cobbled street behind the Quarryman's Arms (now Duck and Puddle) Duke's Brow consisting of 3 corrages part of Wagtail

Middle Cockcroft (1795) Northgate

Middle Shorrock Hey Farm (1996) Meins Road

Middle Tackett (1716)

Middle Wilworth (1980)

Middle Wilworth Farm (1881-1958)

Midge Hall Farm (1825-1915) Ramsgreave                                           John Fletcher (1870); John Parker (1870)

Midland Railway Company (1889-1909) Jubilee Street

Receiving Office: Goods Station (1878-81)                    agent: George H Howarth (1878) passenger agent: George Eatherley (1900)

Goods Office: Goods Station Jubilee Street (1885-97) agent: Thomas Sheppard (1881-1909)

Midsummer Street (1870-1980) Sarah Ellen Street / Devonport Road Nos 1-21 and 2-24

The Miens (1881) Preston New Road

Middle Wilworth (1929-66) Pleckgate                                         W Whipp (1966)

Mile End(s) (1836-1929) top of Preston New Road

Mile End Lane (1929) Revidge Road

Mile End Row (Dandy Row) (built 1817-30) 14 Revidge Road 1-12 cons. Early 19th c. Grade 2 listed 1974. a  colony of handloom weavers' cottages

Miles Wife Hey (1822- demolished 1900-1) was situated at the Blackburn end of Manor Road. House at corner of Crompton Place and Ouzehead Lane denotes exact position;

James Haworth (1836) John Charnley (1870-d 1871) William Haydock (1880-1900) owned by J J L Irving (1900) Name transferred to Bank Hey Farm at Little Harwood

Military Tournament (1893) Whit Monday June at Witton Park

Milk House Farm Duke's Brow (1870)

Milk House Farm Shire Brow (1796)       Thomas Sharples; John Pickup (1890)

Milking House Lane (1929) Livesey

Milking House Lane Farm (1929-58) Livesey

Milking Lane (1958) Greenbank Terrace

Milking Lane Farm (1958)

Millbrook Street (1929-80) Fore Street Nos 2 & 4

Mill Croft (1750)

Miller's Yard (1872) St Mary's Parish

Mill Field (1716-39) Canterbury Street area

Mill Field (1835) Whitebirk estate

Mill Gate (1795-1818) now part of Mill Lane at Darwen Street end where an old corn mill once stood.

Millham Street (1870-1980) Whalley Range

Mill Hill (1852) Redlam Brow Bank Top

Mill Hill Bridge Street (1929) Queen Victoria Street

Mill Hill Chapel School (Independent) (1848)

Mill Hill Community Centre (1996)

Mill Hill Congregational church was erected in 1860 at a cost of £6,000 accommodated 1,000 persons. Was closed in 1962 and demolished in 1965. A congregation was in existance from 1847.

Mill Hill Elementary (Council) School (1903-15) New Chapel Street boys, girls and infants; (1924-39) senior and junior; (1947-51) junior mixed and infants

Mill Hill flats three multi-storey blocks Livesey Court, Ewood Court and Griffin Court completed in 1969 were closed in 1998 and demolished in 2001

Mill Hill House (1881) Victoria Street Livesey

Mill Hill Independent School Livesey (1881) boys and girls

Mill Hill mills (Cotton Works) owned by George Whiteley & Co (1844) cotton spinners and manufacturers then Hodgkinson Sawin & Codling (1870-8) cotton spinners & manufacturers becoming Hodgkinson & Codling (1891) 46,560 spindles 934 looms shirtings and madapollams. Codling and Hodgkinson Ltd (1894-1922) cotton manufacturers then Burley Mill Co Ltd (1930) cotton spinners & manufacturers and later owned by Heatley Textile Machinery (Heatley & Son Ltd) (1958) Parts of the mill were demolished in 1936 and the rest in 1973.

Mill Hill Railway Station New Chapel Street and Goods Yard on the Preston line                                                                                                stationmaster: J Latham (1930)

Mill Hill Ropeworks (1958) Edmund Howarth Ltd                                            see Ropewalks

Mill Hill Street (1878) Queen Victoria Street Livesey Nos 1-19 and 2-60

Mill Hill Street Bridge widened in 1911

Mill Lane (1795) 54 Darwen Street leading from Back Lane (Mincing Lane) to old corn mill near the Blakewater Nos 3-47 and 2-44                                                                                                      Benjamin Tattersall (1832)

Mill Street (1844-52) Dock Street / Higher Eanam

Mill Street (1899-1958) Cross Street 15 Accrington Road

Mill Street (1870) Wensley Street

Mill Street (1870) Stanley Street Furthergate

Millgate Street (1929-58) Rakes Bridge

Millham Street (1878-1959) 55 Whalley Range Nos 1-39 and 32-50

Milne (1724) old water corn mill at Ewood

Milton Street (1870-1980) 35 Forrest Street No 15

Mincing Lane (1903) 15 Astley Gate Nos 1-41 and 6-52

Minden Street (1903-66) 21 Dickinson Street Nos 9 & 33 and 8-38

Ministry of Agriculture Lancashire County Agricultural Executive committee No. 5 & 4 District 31 Northgate (1951)

Ministry of Food Market intelligence office Provincial Bank buildings Lord Street (1951)                                                                       area officer: Edward Waterhouse (1951)

Ministry of Food, Meat and Livestock Control Abattoirs Sumner Street (1951)

Ministry of Health Examination Centre Ainsworth Street (1930) 31 Northgate (1935-58)

Insurance Department (1924-51): 20 Richmond Terrace (1924-30) 31 Northgate (1930-58) and Belper Street (1948)                                                                         district inspector: J H Sinkinson LL D (1930); T H B Land (1935-42);

Insurance Committee (1930) 44 Ainsworth Street; 31 Northagte (1960s); clerk: H Whittaker (1930);

Ministry of (Health) Labour Employment Exchange 33 King Street (1930-51)   

manager: Tom Robinson (1930); F Hanlan (1935); A J Fryer (1942); William R Purdie (1951)

Ministry of National Insurance Department Peter Street (1958-60s)

Ministry of Pensions sub-office Ainsworth Street (1930)

Ministry of Transport 8 Richmond Terrace (1942); traffic officer: H Hibbert (1942)

Minnie Terrace (1878) Gawthorpe / Alexandra Road Nos 2-14

Mission Room 4 Canterbury Street (1951)

Mitton Street (1903-80) 61 Whalley New Road Nos 1-7 and 2-16

Moat House Hotel (Saxon Inn) (98 bedrooms) Preston New Road opened in 1973 closed 6th October 2001 and demolished

Model Welfare Centre 133 Preston New Road (1939-42);     

                                                                                    matron: Miss C Pollicott (1942)

Modern Druids (1838)

The Moieties (1739) area between King William Street and Blakey Moor

Mollington Road (1903) 165 Revidge Road 4 families

Molyneaux Lodge (1854) Chapel Street

Molyneaux Square (1870-1949) 19 Pearson Street

Mona Cottage (1885-1949) 101 Revidge Road

Mona Road (1958) Snaefell Road

Monk Street (1903-66) Gate Street 44 Copy Nook Nos 2-8 and 3

Monmouth Road (1958) Whitebirk Road

Montague Close (1980)

Montague Street (1836) previously Branch Road (48)62 King Street / Preston New Road Nos 3-131 and 4-206

Montague Street Baptist Church (1839-89) Branch Road Tabernacle last service conducted by Mr. J Beardwood on 6th December 1959

Montague Street Congregational Church (1864-1922) corner stone laid Whit Monday 25 May 1863. Sittings were for 700 people with schools and classrooms situated at the Higson Street end of the premises.

Montague Street Health Centre opened in 1968

Montague Street Primitive Methodist Chapel Zion foundation stone was laid on 23rd March 1837 by the Rev Mr Verity held 500 people.

Montreal Road (1958) Whinney Lane

Montrose Street (1878-1980) 79 Bank Top Nos 9-63 and 4-64

Moorbrook Mill King Street owned by The Blackburn Manufacturing Co Ltd (1912-22) cotton manufacturers

Moor Farm (1881-1996) Haslingden Road Guide                                R Whitwell (1966)

Moorfield Avenue (1980)

Moorfield Avenue Farm (1915) Ramsgreave

Moorfield Road (1966)

Moorgate Fold (1724-1969) New Wellington Street Mill Hill

Moorgate Fold Bridge (1848)                                                      see Bridges

Moor(e) Street (1832-1980) Starkie Street Penny Street

Moorgate (Fold) Mill (1848) Mill Hill Livesey owned by Joseph Eccles cotton spinner and manufacturer later owned by Aaron Sharples Bury JP (1878) cotton spinner & manufacturer then William Almond and Co 997 looms shirtings jacconettes and dhooties. Edwin Hamer (1902-30) cotton manufacturer followed by Tranmere Textiles (1958) winders warpers and sizers. Began as a bleach works followed by printing by Adam Sanderson (1776) Mr Shaw from Radcliff took over (1808-11) then Robert Turner & Bros printers Mill Hill and Blackburn

Moorgate Heald & Reed works owned by Robert Hogg (1878) making heald yarns nettings & crochet cottons. Robert Hogg (Blackburn) Ltd (1958) doublers of cotton nylon and terylene twines. Known as Hogg's Mill Yard (2013)

Moorgate Square (1881-1929) 117 Moorgate Street

Moorgate Street & Fold (1878) 34 New Wellington Street Livesey Nos 23-125 and 20-140

Moorgate Street Bridge ferro concrete opened in 1911                     see Bridges

Moor Leach (1835) Whitebirk estate

Moorside (1870) (Islington) St Mary's Parish previously Novas

Moorside Avenue (1958) 72 Fecitt Brow

Moor Street (1818-1966) Starkie Street Nos 41-95 and 22-70

Moor View (1882) 303 Haslingden Road

Moor (Moore) Yate Fold (1658-1878) later to become known as Moorgate, Livesey where St. Andrew's Church was built and where Moorgate Street is today

Morecambe Road (1958) 94 Manxman Road

Morley Avenue (1929) Green Lane

Mormonites Clayton Street pre 1852

Morris Bank Farm (1870-1942) Livesey                                     Thomas Aspin (1870)

Morris Brow Livesey (1966)

Morton Street (1836-1980) 40 Kirkham Lane / Tontine Street

Moscow Terrace (1929) 45 Altom Street

Mosley mill Bell Street owned by George Slater & Co cotton manufacturers (1894) Thomas Holden & Son (1902) later by Mosley Mill Co (1912) cotton manufacturers then Henry Eastwood & Co Ltd (1915-22) cotton manufacturers

Mosley Place (1929) Derham Street Grimshaw Park

Mosley Street (1870) 58 Grimshaw Park Nos 7-257 and 4-150 some demolished 2008

Mosley Street Methodist chapel (1969)

Mosley Street Schools were opened 25th December 1857                        

                                                                        see Grimshaw Park National Schools

Moss Bridge Mill (1870) Lower Darwen owned by Christopher Shorrock & Co (1870) cotton spinners then Taylor Brothers cotton spinners & manufacturers

The Moss Farm (1870) Lower Darwen                           William Whalley (1870)

Moss Farm (1870-1915) Ramsgreave Edmund Barton (1870) Thomas Pomfret (1878)

Moss Farms (1870) Lower Darwen                     John Garsden (1870) J Nightingale (1870) James Worsley (1870)

Moss Field (1825) Whitebirk estate

Moss Fold Farms (1870) Lower Darwen            James Whalley (1870) Isaac Gardner (1870) Joseph Greenhalgh (1870) Ralph Unsworth (1870)

Moss Fold Road Moss Bridge (1966)

Moss Hall (1832-1958) 177 Accrington Road a popular venue for curling matches during winter months. Home of the Blackburn Caledonian Curling Club

Moss Hall Farm (1692-1958) Accrington Road            

William Whalley (1692) James Whalley (1713) Thomas Whalley (1725) John Whalley (1744-68) Kenyons; Nutters; John Yates (1878); Woods

Moss Hall Terrace (1884-1930) Accrington Road

Moss House Farm (1870) Lower Darwen                                  William Duerden (1870)

Moss Lane Knuzden (1966)

Moss Street (1844-1980) (103)79 Birley Street Daisyfield Nos 1-237 and 2-220

Moss Street (Council) Board School (1881-1903) boys, girls and infants; (1912-15) senior and junior; (1924-51) mixed and infants. Was erected in 1880-1 at a cost of £5,327 accommodating for upwards of 700 scholars The architect was Mr. W S Varley of Blackburn. It was enlarged by the erection of additional classrooms and rooms for manual and cookery instruction in 1901 at a cost of £2,800. Replaced in June 1971 by Daisyfield CP School

Moss Street Goods Yard near Daisyfield Station

Moss Street mill (1848) operated by Henry Shuttleworth & Co cotton weavers & manufacturers in 1860.They became bankrupt in 1865. In 1882 W J & A Taylor (later) D & W Taylor (1891-4) with Audley Bridge Cobden Bridgewater Park Place and Jubilee mills 111,800 spindles 2152 looms plain and figured goods dhooties stripes shirtings twills sheetings flannelettes and home trade goods then William Taylor & Sons (1902) took over the mill. The mill was auctioned off in 1911 for £10,500 but because of the war was closed. Owned by Blackburn Commercial Mill Co Ltd (1912-pre 1922) Thompsons Ltd (1922) was purchased by the British Northrop Loom Co in 1924 The site was then cleared for extensions to their own factory

Mother Red Cap (1872) St Thomas' Parish Accrington Road

Mothers' Union                                           see Blackburn Diocesan Mothers' Union

Motor Licences (Motor Car Act 1903) offices Borough Treasurer's Department Town Hall (1928-9); Sessions House Northgate (1939-51);

Moulden Bank

Moulden (Moulding, Molding, Moldinge, Mouldinge) Water (1618)

Moulding Close (1980)

The Mount (1878) (20) 14 Duke's Brow Nos 2 & 4

Mount Pleasant (1852) Daisyfield Carr Lane

Mount Pleasant (1844-1980) 160 Moor Street / Trinity Street Nos 2-66 demolished 1965

Mount Pleasant (1826) Revidge Road Stone Plaque on Corporation Park wall is inscribed “Mount Pleasant, Revedge. The road at this place was made by removing the rock during the distress in 1826 & 7."

Mount Pleasant (1852) Witton

Mount Pleasant Farm (1870-1958) Top o' th' Coal Pits Livesey       

                                                                                                William Pickup (1870)

Mount Pleasant Farm (1870) Lower Darwen                John Nightingale (1870)

Mount Pleasant Revidge (1843)

Mount Street (1818-1966) Well Street / Foundry Hill Nos 1-21 and 8

Mount Street Independent Chapel erected in 1829

Mount Street Presbyterian Chapel was built in 1810 and demolished in 1964 after being used as a garage by the Lancashire Evening Telegraph

Mount Trinity (2002) formerly Larkhill Flats                                           see Larkhill Flats

Mouse House Farm (1881-1949) tenement in Lower Darwen

Moutre Hall (1903-49) Four Lane Ends Pleckgate

Mowbray Avenue (1966)

Mowbray Drive (1980)

Mowbray Lodge (1949-58) Top o' th' Coal Pits

Mulberry Street (1929-80) Cherry Street

Mulberry Walk (1980)

Municipal Dispensary Blakey Moor (1951)

Municipal Offices (1881-97) Victoria Street                                                       see Town Hall

Murdock Street (1980)

Museum and Art Gallery Library Street built in 1874 as a library although facilities had been available from 17th February 1862. The architect was J B McCollum Borough engineer and designed in a mediaeval gothic style costing £12,000. In 1893 it was enlarged for £7,000. The site had been given by John Pickop JP

Museum The “Fox and Grapes Museum," Limefield Preston New Road, first founded by David Crook, (Landlord from 1858 to 1874) probably in about 1860.The collection dispersed on the 26th August 1897 at an Auction. The sale catalogue gave details of over 100 cases of stuffed birds and animals, as well as many old coins, geographical specimens, old pottery, ancient arms and armour and other curiosities.

Museum Street (1990) previously Library Street

Music Hall Market Street Lane                                                                  see New Assembly Room

Mustard Seed House (1985-2002) Whitehaven Close (1985); 10 Silloth Close (1992-3); 42 Fishmoor Drive (1998-2002) closed 18/12/2002

Mutual Instruction Association (1852) Ainsworth Street

Myery Acre (1835) Whitebirk estate

Myles Wife Hey Bank Hey Lane South Little Harwood (1543) Grade 2* listed in 1951

The Myrtles (1929) Merlin Road

Myrtle Street (1870-1966) (39) 49 Larkhill Nos 1-7 and 4-16

Myrtle Bank Road (1929-66) off Fernhurst Street No 1

Myrtle Bank Terrace (1980)

Nabbs Estate (1750)

Nab Lane (1836-1980) Blakey Moor Nos 1-75 and 2-42 all demolished

Nab Lane Ironworks (1800) run by Messrs. George Barnett & Son iron founders before Robert Railton took over on or about 1820. Demolished around 1889 for new Technical School

Nab Lane Mill with Duckworth Field mill St Paul's Mill Company Ltd. 965 looms shirtings mulls & jacconettes.

Mathias Munroe and Sons (1891) Nab Lane Manufacturing Co Ltd 381 looms fine shirtings jacconettes also Springfield mill Guide.

N A L G O Club 42 Victoria Street (1947-51)     

                                                            secretary: F Haworth (1947), H Whitehead (1951)

Nancy Terrace (1903-30) 128 Livesey branch Road / Wellington Road Livesey

Nanson Street (1949-80) 44 Nares Street Witton named after Arctic explorer

Napier Street (1870-1980) 116 Whalley Old Road Nos 25-67 and 4-72

Nares Road (1956) off Selous Street

Nares Street (1929-49) off Selous Street

National Assistance Board Henry Street (1951)

National Coal Board 42 Ainsworth Street (1951)        

                                                                        district manager: Fred Balmford (1951)

National Council of Social Service (North Mid-Lancashire) 13 Richmond terrace (1942)                                                          assistant regional officer: S E Maltby MA MEd (1942)

National Farmers' Union (Blackburn Branch) 51 Preston New Road (1951);

                                                                        group secretary: G A Briggs (1931) Robert Parsons (1951)

National Federation of Old Age Pensions Association Clayton Street (1942); 15 Blakey Moor (1940s-1967); 91 Preston New Road (19   );                   

                                    general secretary: T Hodgkinson (1942); Ernest Melling (1951)

National Health Insurance Committee 44 Ainsworth Street (1924-42)      

                                                                        clerk: H Whittaker (1924-42)

National Health Insurance offices 25-39 Peter Street (1951)

The National Institute for Richardson Home for Deaf Women Bishops House Billinge End Road (1951)

National Road Transport Federation 19a Railway Road (1951)                

                                                                        secretary: Miss P D Bridge (1951)

National Savings committee 17 New Market Street (1951); 9 Richmond Terrace (1951);

National Secular Society Cort Street (1935)

National School (1818) Thunder Alley               master: James Hargreaves (1818-29)

National Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Children

office, 8 Bathurst Street; 39 Alma Street (1915); 18 Richmond Terrace (1903); 12 Richmond Terrace (1924-35); 20 Carr Street (1942); 142 Revidge Road (1951-60s);

hon. sec. James Fairfield (1903); Rev. K R Hoyle MA (1912); R Muir Oddie (1915-39); inspector George Turner (1903); Frederick W Beckley (1912); F W Beckley (1915); W B Wilson (1924-5); William Blake (1930); P King (1935); F Parry (1942); D J Evans (1951)

National Spiritualist Church St. Peter Street (1964)

National Telephone Co. Ltd. (1897-1909) 14 Astley Gate     manager: John Ashton (1897-1900) C Remington (1909)

National Trade Defence Association 12 Fleming Square (1912-51)                                        

Agent: James Wilkinson (1912) John Livesey (1915-30) superintendent: John Livesey (1924-35) R Geddes (1939) J Chapman (1942) Cecil Kershaw (1951)

National Union of Municipal and General Workers 8 Clayton Street (1929-48) 20 Mincing Lane (1951)

                                              secretaries: H Corston & R Beardwood (1930); W Bond (1939); John Wilding (1951);

National Union of Paper Mill Workers' Association 9 Penzance Street (1930-51):

                                                                                                                        secretary: H V Dowdall (1930-51)

National Union of Printing, Bookbinding & Paperworkers 1/3 Princess Street (1951)

                                                                                                                        secretary: J Rossall (1951)

National Union of Railway Clerks' Association club 45 Ainsworth Street (1939-42) 

                                                                                                                        secretary: A Tindall (1939-42)

National Union of Railwaymen Ainsworth Street (1929-48)

National Union of Tailors and Garment Workers 20 Mincing Lane (1939-51)                                                                                                                                                                             secretary: E McEvoy (1951)

Navigation Bridge over canal at Eanam

Navigation Flour Mills (1844) Dock Street Eanam owned by Richard Shackleton & Son (1870-1903) corn millers

Navigation (New) mill Forrest Street Eanam was erected by James Forrest & Co (183-–1878) in the late 1830s and by 1869 had 680 looms. In November 1895 (Messrs James Boyle & Co manufacturing, wholesale & retail confectioners) James 'Toffy' Boyle took over the spinning section for the manufacture of toffee, managed by James Boyle & Robert Boyle and known as 'the Japperies'. The "Canal Saw Mill" was also occupied by James Boyle & Co. The weavers meanwhile were working for Hargreaves and Allen. In 1887 Hindle Fawcett & Co had 250 looms. Beads & Askew (1891-1903) cotton manufacturers 252 looms shirtings. Hollinshead Mill Co Ltd (1894) John Wilkinson & Sons cotton manufacturer (1894) Navigation Mill Co cotton spinners (1894) then owned by Bury Bros (1903-15) cotton manufacturers and James Bury & Co Ltd (1922) weavers and manufacturers followed by Navigation Mill Co Ltd (1922 until 1952) Pioneer Winding Co Ltd (1958) and W Birtwistle (Damasks) Ltd having 96 looms in 1958 moving in 1961 The spinning section was demolished in 1972 but the weaving mill was occupied first by P Marsden & Sons builders followed by Henry Ibbotson builders from 1970.

Navigation mill (1891) Hartley and Carter with Wensley Fold mill 35,000 spindles medium counts. John Wilkinson and Son with Appleby Street mill (1891) 729 looms dhooties and shirtings and at Providence Mill Clayton le Moors.

Navigation mill owned by McDougall & Ratcliffe Ltd (1958) sizers

Nazareth House Institute for Orphan Children and Aged Poor Beardwood Preston New Road (1917-58) purchased in 1917 for £4,200 from the John Thompson estate. To-day known as Larmenier Village for the elderly.

Sisters of Nazareth                                                                          see Beardwood Cliff

Nearer Craven Croft (1716) off Blakey Moor

Nearer Dam Hey (1716) Grimshaw Park

Nearer Smalden (1716)

Neath Close (1966)

Ned Hole Wood (1938) in Witton Park off Buncer Lane

Negroes Row (1818-52) Snigbrook

Nelson Street back (1852-1966) 28 Park Road / Gt Bolton Street Nova Scotia Nos 2 and 11

Netherwood (1930) Preston New Road

New Assembly Room Market Street Lane housed many organisations including the Mechanics' Institute and Blackburn Grammar School

New Bank (1836) near Wagtail

New Bank Estate (1750)

(New) Bank Farm and beerhouse demolished 1880s between New Bank Road and Leamington Road                                                                                     Hindles 1850s         

New Bank Road (1885) 29 Leamington Road Nos 1-97 and 2-168

New Barn Court (1980)

New Barn Farm (1836-1915) Guide

New Branch Road (1852) Montague Street

New Brewery 49 & 81 Bolton Road owned by Richard Holden (1878) brewer maltster and beerhouse

New Brewery Salford owned by Henry Shaw & Co (1878) ale & porter brewers maltsters and dealers in hops

Newcastle Street (1929) 115 Griffin Street

New Central Hall Picture House Mill Lane (1924-51)             see Central Hall

New Chapel Street (1903) Mill Hill Street Nos 3-39 and 2a-86

New Church Close (1980)

New Drop (1818)

New Empress Ballroom Town Hall Street opened in 1936

Newfield (1900) area before Blackamoor crossroads on Roman Road

Newfield Drive (1980)

Newfield(s) Farm (1870-1966) Roman Road Lower Darwen

                                    John Haworth (1870) Robert Haworth (1870) M J Baron (1966)

Newfield Mill (1870) Lower Darwen owned by Thomas Orrell & Co manufacturers

New Garden Street (1870-1980) 155 Bolton Road Nos 1-27 and 2

New Hey (1856) Audley estate with Little Meadow (Cicely Hole) 6 acres 2 roods 30 perches

New Holme (1894) left side Pleckgate Road below Four Lane Ends

Newington Avenue (1958) Bank Hey Lane

New Inns Farm (1915)

New Jerusalem Methodist Chapel Anvil Street (1854-89) was opened in 1854 seating 214 persons

New Jerusalem church (1969) Blackburn Street

New Jerusalemites (1852)

New Kings' Hall Picture Palace Bank Top (1915)                    see King's Hall

Newlands (1980)

New Majestic Cinema                                                        see Exchange Picture Hall

New Market Chambers (1870-1949) New Market Street

New Market Street (1870-1980) 37 King William Street Nos 1-17 and 6-26

New Market Street back (1878) 64 Northgate

New Market Street West (1878) 35 Northgate

New Mill owned by W D Coddington & Sons (1878-1930 exors) cotton spinners & manufacturers with Ordnance Crossfield and Wellington mills 96,470 spindles 1817 looms

New Mill Street (1844-1980) (19)13 Whalley New Road Brookhouse

New Olympia Theatre St. Peter's Street                         see Olympia

New Palace Theatre Railway Road                                           see Palace Theatre

New Park Street (1870-1980) 53 Preston New Road Nos 1-105 and 2-42 1-73 & 2-42 demolished

New Prince's Theatre Jubilee Street                              see Grand Theatre

New Row (1820-68) later Farmers Row (for sometime known as Ashleigh Road) restored 1983 off Heys lane

New Row Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (1805) Heys Lane Livesey built on land donated by G W Turner calico printer of Stakes Hall Mill Hill whose inscription GWT 1828 is over the door of the chapel. Grade 2 Listed in 1974.

New Shambles (1818) New Bull public house

New Shorrock Field (1848) Waterloo Livesey Branch Road

New Springs (House) Farm (1836-1966) off Cuckoo Hall Lammack Road now part of Blackburn Golf Club course.                         Robert Haworth (1836) Joseph Hargreaves (1878) J H Entwisle & T W Whitfield (1966)

New Spring House (1900) Blackamoor Road

New Square (1920)                                                                        see Fleming Square

Newsroom (operative) Wensley Street (1870)

New Street (1838) Tontine Limbrick

New Sunshine Club for unemployed women Weir Street (1939)

Newton Street (1870-1980) 64 Bottomgate Nos 3-23 and 16-86

Newton Street Mill owned by Thomas Longworth Ltd (1915-58) had 808 Lancashire and 96 automatic looms

New Waters (Waves) Farm (1838-70)                                        Alice Rushton (1870)

New Water Street (1836-1959) Holme Street Nos 1-5

New Wellington Street (1903) 39 New Chapel Street Mill Hill Nos 1-117 and 2-42

Nightingale Court (1929) Nightingale Street

Nightingale Street (1870-1966) 87 Snig Brook Nos 1-11 and 2-18

Nightingale Street back (1878) 12 Nightingale Street

Nightsafe Trust opened its doors to the young homeless of Blackburn in November 1990

Nisden Brook (1789)

Noblett Street (1852-1980) 3 Hannah Street / Primrose Bank Nos 1-7

(The) Nook (House) Farm (1789-1881) Livesey                       Alexander Mercer (1870)

Nook Terrace (1903) East View Terrace Cherry Tree Nos 1-23

Norbreck Close (1980)

Norden Film Company founded by Sagar Mitchell & James Kenyon Blackburn (1897-1913) Clayton Street

Norfolk Close (1980)

Norfolk Court (1980)

Norfolk Street (1891) R Thompson and Sons at No 10 cotton manufacturers

Norfolk Street (1903-80) 41 Parkinson Street Mill Hill Nos 3-17

Norman Street (1903-80) 79 Griffin Street Nos 1-33 and 2-18 to be bulldozed 2012

North Bank (1872-1929) Wellington Street

North Bank (1929) Pleckgate

North Bank Avenue (1958) 142 Pleckgate Road

North Bank House (1870) 31 Wellington Street (St. John's) Mrs J Hall (1870)

North Bank Terrace (1881-1930) 6 Shear Brow

North & North-East Lancashire Cotton Spinners' and Manufacturers' Association 4 Richmond Terrace (1897)                                                                                                                                              secretary R Taylor

North-East Lancashire Bottle Exchange Weir Street. secretary: Samuel Livesey (1903)

North-East Lancashire Bottlers' Trade Protection Association Copperfireld Street (1930); 56 Artillery Street (1951);                                                secretary: J M Lloyd (1951)

North-East Lancashire Card and Blowing Operatives' and Ring Spinners' Association 56a Victoria Street.                                                                                                                                                 secretary: P Maguire (1903); M Brothers (1912)

North-East Lancashire Chemists' Association 2 Richmond Terrace;      

                                                                                                                                             secretary: Fred Law (1915)

North-East Lancashire Deaf and Dumb Institute 52 Victoria Street;

secretary: W H Sames (1903); hon. sec. T R Thompson (1912-15), E Docharty, missioner (1912-15)

North-East Lancashire (Region 1) Joint Town and County Planning committee 13 Victoria Street (1939)

Town planning officer: Thomas A Ridgway PASI AMTPI MCyE (1939-42)

North East View (1903-29) Eastwood Street

Northern Crescent (1903-30) William Holt Street/Highbury Place

'Northern Daily Telegraph' office Railway Road

                                                                                    proprietor and publisher: Thomas Purvis Ritzema (1903-15)

19 & 21 Railway Road (1886) corner of Railway Road and High Street (1894) present site (1982)

North-Western Newspaper Co. Ltd. (1930-9); Northern Daily Telegraph Ltd (1951); became Lancashire Evening Telegraph (1963)

Designed by Architects Stones and Gradwell and opened in 1894. First copy appeared on the streets Tuesday 26th October 1886 selling for half a penny. The Sports Telegraph  'Pink' was first published in 1897. Printing offices of the NDT/ Lancashire Evening Telegraph closed and demolished in 1984. New premises built on adjoining site with Morrison's developing super store on site and former Dutton's brewery site, High Street/Eanam.

Northern Topographical Society (1838)

North-East Lancashire Mineral Water Makers' Association Copperfield Street

Northfield Road (1966)

Northgate (1772) Astleygate / 1 Church Street Nos 1-81 and 2-108

North House Farm (1878)

North Road (1929) off Audley Range

North Street (1929) Whalley Road

Northern Crescent (1929) Highbury Place

North-Western Area Wholesale Meat Supply Association abattoirs Sumner Street (1951) depot manager: A J West (1951)

North-Western Electricity Board No. 5 sub area Jubilee Street (1951-60s)

manager: R H Harral AMIEE MInstF (1951)

North-Western Gas Board Blackburn Group Cardwell Place (1951-8); Duke Street (1958-60s)                                    general manager: A H Nicholson AMInstGasE (1951)

Norwich Street (1929-80) Bangor Street

Norwood Avenue (1929) Park Lee Road

Notaries Public       Albert Hall (1897) 34 Richmond Terrace George H Lewis (1909-42) 32 Richmond Terrace Herbert Allan Smitton (1909-42) 5 Richmond Terrace

Notre Dame                                                                                      see

Nottingham Street (1899-1980) 27 Queen's Park Road Nos 4-68

Nova Scotia (1787) High Street became Bolton Road / Town's Moor

Nova Scotia Brewery taken over by Matthew Brown & Co. Preston and closed in 1920.

Nova Scotia Congregational Sunday School (1904)

Nova Scotia School (1816) adult comprising 55 men being taught to read and christian teachings by Chapel Street friends in two houses. Schoolroom erected 1835 and opened as a day school 1836 with Joseph Leaver as first master.

Nova Scotia Mills (Owd Hoppit's) Kay Street owned by Robert Hopwood & Son (1870-87) cotton spinners & manufacturers 1523 looms 58,516 spindles shirtings dobbies & dhooties then by Birtwistle and Thompson (1891-4) with Stanley Street mill 44,100 spindles 1120 looms dhooties and Woodfold Mill Darwen. Richard Thompson & Co Ltd (1899-1922) cotton spinners & manufacturers Novas Spinning & Manufacturing Co (1922)

Nova Scotia Sawmills (1903) W M Livesey (1903)

Novas Lane (Bolton Street) also known as Moor Side

Nurses' Bureau Richmond Terrace (1929)

Nursing Mothers' Aid Society 10 Mary Ann Street (1912); 26 Adelaide Street (1915)

matron: Mrs. Margaret Swift (1912-15); secretary: Henry Schofield (1912)

Nuttall Street (1903) Calico Street Nos 110-124 and 149/151

Oak Cottage (1929-49) Infirmary Road

Oakenhurst (Oakenest, Oaknest, Okenhurst, Okenhurste) (1625)

Oakenhurst Farm (1870-1915) Lower Darwen

                                                                        John Smith (1870); Richard Smith (1870)

Oakenhurst Fold Farm (1870)                                         James Marsden (1870)

Oakenhurst Road (1966)

Oaks Farm (1870) Pleasington                                        Edward Unsworth (1870)

Oakfield (1878-1929) 52 Preston New Road

Oakfield Road (1929-80) 486 Bolton Road

Oakfield Terrace (1912) 84 New Wellington Street Mill Hill

Oak Mount (1878) 6 East Park Road

Oak Street (1878) (169) 233 Whalley Range Nos 1-25 and 34

Oak Street Mill owned by Oak Street Manufacturing Co Ltd (1939-58) had 300 looms

Oakwood Avenue (1966)

Oak Yard (1870-1949) 85 King Street

Oban Drive (1966)

Oban Street (1929) off Hancock Street 

Observatory Road (1958) 45 Roman Road

Occupation Road (1835) Whitebirk estate

Oddfellows' Hall 33 King Street (1870)                                                  proprietor: George Barlow (1870)

Odeon cinema (1964)                                                                                                        see Rialto

Official Receiver in Bankcruptcy (for Blackburn and Burnley District (1935-51) District Bank Chambers 7 Lord Street West (1935-48)                                                      John W Carter (1935); Harold S Haworth (1939-51)

Ogden Street (1878-1929) Pilkington Street

Ohmy's Circus. Joseph Smith was a Londoner who ran a circus in Blackburn, first in Jubilee Street and then in Mincing Lane in the late 1880s and early 1890s. He was a gymnast billed as 'The Invisible Winged Angel' and 'The Star of the Air'. He was in fact one of the first bungee jumpers. It was because of the audiences shrieking 'Oh My!' as he made his sensational dives that he adopted 'Ohmy' as his stage name. He retired to Blackpool where he lived in Raikes Parade.

Old Bank Darwen Street / Higher Church Street built in 1878 for Cunliffe Brooks & Co. attributed to George Truefitt. Grade 2 listed in 1974.

Old Bank House (1929) Adelaide Terrace                                                                                 see Bank House

Old Bank Lane (1872) off Brandy House Brow

Old Bank Street (1844) St Paul's Street Snigbrook

Old Bank Street (1852-1980) 31 King Street

Old Barracks (1878) King Street

Old Blackburnian's Association Blackburn Grammar School Old Boys

Old Blackburnians' Amateur Football Club Lammack formed in 1925 and have been members of the Lancashire Amateur League ever since 1929. Winners of the Lancashire Amateur Cup in 1947 and 1950. Northern League Winners in 1947-8; 48-49; 49-50 and again 1951-2; 1961-2. Northern Div 1 champions in 1968-9; 69-70; 70-1; 72-3 and 88-89. Winners of the League Challenge Cup 1974. Originally only Old Boys of Blackburn Grammar School, the club was re-organised in 1974.

Old Bobbin Shop (1822-53) stood facing the bottom of Duke's Brow owned by Lady Whitehead and tenanted by Roger Bennet

Old Bull Hotel Church Street.

Built 1847 replacing an earlier inn demolished in May1847. Closed its doors in 1938 but was not demolished until 1950. Premier hotel with 60 bedrooms with the kitchen on the top floor to eliminate fumes. Sold in 1937 to E H Booth for retail store but didn't materialize and was subsequently sold to the Borough.

Old Calendar House Old Chapel Street was the original Wesleyan Chapel where John Wesley preached on his first visit to Blackburn in 1780

Old Chapel Street (1795) off 67 Penny Street leading to Union Street Nos 1-17 and 2-18

Old Church Yard (1818) Church Street was immediately in front of the present entrance to the cathedral

Old Copy Nook (1844) at Rose Hill off Eanam

Old Cross Chambers (1881-1949) 4 King William Street

Old Dad's House (1898) tenement in Mellor

Old Dame School Paradise Lane

Old Foxhouse

Oldgate (Old Gate) Farm (1848-1915)) Livesey

Old Hall Farm (1870) Pleasington                                               Christopher Wood (1870)

Old Hall Street (1980)

Oldham Bank (1912-29) Duke's Brow

Oldham Lane End (1900) Blackamoor Road

Oldham's Cross Farm Knuzden became Peel Fold Farm

Oldham Street (1878-1966) Russell Street Nos 2-28 and 23                                     demolished 1971

Old James Street (1832-1966) 1 Old Chapel Street Nos 2-12 and 1

Old Man's Hill (1898) Pleasington

Old Mill Street (1844-1980) 9 Whalley Road Brookhouse

Old Mother Red Cap (1900) Fountain Free Brewery Accrington Road

Old Mother Redcap Farm was in the front of the brewery

Old People's Homes (7) run by Blackburn Borough Council            Burnley Road

Old Pinfold at Higher Ouzebooth

Old Row (1930) Feniscowles

Old Smithy (1870) Dandy Walk tenanted by William Stott (1881-91) then Tom Livesey (19 –08) demolished in 1908 for extensions to the yard of the Blackburn Billposting Co.

Old Square (1824-52) Lord Street was approached from Church Street through Shorrock Fold it was hemmed in on all sides by property but all were demolished when the New Market Square was developed but is now covered over by Debenhams and the town centre

Old Swan Farm (1951)

Old Thatch (1848) off Shorrock Lane Livesey

Old Wife Hey Farm (1870-1939) Livesey                                    John Kay (1870)

Old Wilfridians' Association (2001)

Old Woodfold Farm (1870) Pleasington                                    Oliver Ormerod (1870)

Old Yates Farm (1870) Livesey                                        Robert Spencer (1870)

Olive Bank (1878-1929) 149/151 Duke's Brow

Olympia Theatre and Opera House St. Peter Street (1911-57)manager: R Yorke (1915)

Opened as a Roller Skating Rink in 1909 for 2 years having been built on the site of the Old Bull livery stables, converted to theatre and concert hall in 1911 New Olympia Theatre. Following a fire, re-opened in 1953, being transformed into a cinema having 1,260 seats and closing in 1957. Became the luxury Locarno Ballroom costing £130,000 (November1959) catering for some 1000 people per night Then the Golden Palms (1969) costing £30,000 face-lift and after the Mecca bingo club (Mecca Social club) January 1981. Closed 6th October 2001

Onchan Road (1929) off Sunnybank Road

One o'clock Gun

Heard 4 days a week until 1931 originally on Town Hall parapet (from1878) but removed to the Corporation storeyard in 1883 as it was too noisy for the horses in the town centre.

Oozebooth (Owseboothe, Ousboothe) (1558) below St. James' Road

Oozebooth Farm (1935)

Oozebooth mill Bastwell owned by Read and Sharples (1891-4) 308 looms shirtings. James Read (Blackburn) Ltd (1902-22) cotton manufacturer

Oozebooth Terrace (1872) 150/105 Shear Brow Nos 1-21 and 2-8

Oo(u)zehead (1836-1929) 4 Flashgate / Preston New Road

Oozehead Lane (1885-1966) 170 Wensley Road Nos 1-22

Oozehead Street (1888) off Preston New Road

Oozehead Terrace (1885) Nos 1-23 and 2-22

Opal Street (1929) 700 Whalley New Road

Operative Cotton Spinners Association Mincing Lane (1941)

Orange Club Shorrock Fold Lord Street (1885-9)                                                         secretary: E Salisbury (1889)

Orange Hall (1890-1915) Richmond Terrace now The Masonic Hall Designed by Stones & Gradwell Architects Blackburn costing £2,500. Foundation stone laid by Councillor Thompson JP 1889.                            

                                    secretary: John C Hadfield (1897-1903) W H Shorrock (1909) William Durnford (1912-15)

The Orchard (2011) off Laburnum Road

Orchard Street (1929) Baden Terrace Livesey

Orchard Working Men's Club                                                                             see Working Men's Clubs

Ordnance mill Eanam a four storeyed spinning mill and weaving shed designed by Robert Hopwood and Son in 1857. It employed 300 and had 36,000 spindles. Passed by estate to W D Coddington & Sons (1870-1930) with Crossfield Wellington and New mills 96,470 spindles 1817 looms. A fire on March 21 1929 destroyed the spinning mill at a cost of £80,000, was demolished and the chimney in 1940. The weaving shed was re-opened for other industry in 1935

Ordnance Street (1870-1966) 3 Bottomgate Nos 5-81 and 2-58

Ornamental Fountains

  1. 3 on cathedral side of Boulevard (removed)
  1. 4 Corporation Park – presented by the then mayor Alderman William Pilkington 1857. The largest is at the Preston New Road entrance.
  1. Queen's Park
  1. outside County Court (new)
  1. Church Street (new)

    Orphanage                                                                           see Blackburn Orphanage

    Osborne Road (1929) 112 Revidge Road

    Osborne Terrace (1912-30) 364 Audley Range

    Osborne Terrace (1903-30) 114 Revidge Road

    Oswald Street (1870) Richmond Hill Nos 13-91 and 2-104

    Oswald Terrace (1904) 363 to 401 Accrington Road

    Oswald Terrace (1903-30) Knuzden Brook

    Otterburn Road (1966)

    Our Lady & St John R C High School (1992-99) North Road extended and refurbished 1991

    Our Lady of Compassion Nursing Home (opened 1957) Preston New Road

                                                                                                    see Beardwood House

    Run by a Mother Superior the hospital was housed in the former Beardwood House with an additional wing containing 35 beds, operating theatre, x-ray unit and maternity unit.

Our Lady of Perpetual Succour RC church (1955) Bentley Street / Pilmuir Road

Our Lady of Perpetual Succour RCP School (1992-99) Holmbrook Close

Our Lady of the Assumption RC church (1957)

Ouseburn Road (1966)

Outram Street (1878-1966) 40 Pemberton Street named after Sir James Outram British General who with Havelock held the City of Lucknow (1857) in the Indian Mutiny until relieved by Sir Colin Campbell

Ouzehead Cottages (1872) 63-69 Manor Road handloom weavers' cottages

Ouzehead Farm (1881) 78 Manor Road

Ouzehead House (1870)                                                   W Dickinson (1870)

O(o)uzehead Lane (1822-1929) (Slutchy Loyne) 170 Wensley Street Nos 2-22

Over Barn (1851-1966) Lower Darwen St. Andrew's Ward a pair of handloom weavers' cottages.

Nos 144 & 145

Overlockshay(w) (1912-30) (New) Chapel Street Mill Hill

Overlockshaw House (1881) 33 Chapel Street Livesey had a date-stone of 1691 and was owned by the Astley family it was demolished in 1921 making way for the building of the new Palladium Cinema. This in turn was converted in 1962 into a Blackburn Co-operative Society store and is now a Spar grocery.

Overlockshaw Place (1881-1929) New Chapel Street

Overlookers' Association High Street               secretary: Albert Fish (1912-15)

Overlookers' Club High Street (1924-39)                      secretary: H Beardwood (1930-9)

Overseers' of the Poor office 78 Chapel Street (1818-24) Clayton Street (1852) 8 King Street (1870-8)

4 King Street (1881-1939)  overseer: Benjamin Tattersall (1824)        asst. overseer: John Clough (1870)

James B Margerison (1881-1915): collectors: Joseph Clarkson and Thomas Kenyon (1870)

Oxford Street (1870-1966) 89 Higher Audley Street / Walpole Street Audley Range Nos 9-97 and 2-118

Oxford Street British School Infants (1878)

Oxford Street Presbyterian Mission

Oxford Street Primitive Methodist church (bef 1895-1969) Higher Audley closed and demolished in 1976

Oxford Works Shaw Street (1958) East Lancashire Conveyor Co

Packet House boat shaped grade 2 listed property situated at entrance to Eanam Wharf built around 1822.

The Paddock(s) (1863-1980) 47 Shear Brow below Little London Nos 1 & 4 John Richmond (1878)

Paignton Road (1903) 0ff Revidge Road 3 houses

(New) Palace Theatre (Varieties) Railway Road opened on 11th December 1899 but quickly got into financial difficulties going into liquidation in June 1900.The building was of classical style and was once described as 'irresponsible curligigs' by Professor Pevsner on his visit to Blackburn. Designed by Wimperis and Arbour for The London and Lancashire Theatres (but run by the Livermore Brothers) and constructed by C Davidson of Newcastle on Tyne. It was auctioned in June 1900, and knocked down to a Mr. Walsh for £20,000, which was the only bid. However he had been planted among the bidders in order to increase the auction price but he had no money so a fresh sale had to be arranged on 18th July by Salisbury & Hamer. It was then bought by Frank McNaughton Vaudeville Circuit Ltd. for £12,500 and re-opened on 10th September 1900. The shows were twice nightly at 2d and had the largest gallery of any theatre in Lancashire. Houdini appeared here in 1902. Was closed in 1932. Opened as art-deco style Palace Cinema, the town's second super cinema in October 1936 until 1957 when it turned to Bingo. Re-opened in 1960 by amateurs for live entertainment. Extensively decorated and re-opened as a joint cinema and bingo hall at Christmas 1975 with the circle level floored over and closed 1984. Demolished in 1988                                                managing directors: Livermore Bros. (1900)       lessee: Frank McNaughton (1905-25)

manager: Charles Schuberth (1903) Arthur Burton (1912-5)

Palais de Danse 27a Preston New Road (1939-51)

Palatine Road (1929) Crompton Place

Palatine Street (1903) Nos 2-16

Palladium Cinema New Chapel Street Mill Hill (the Plad) (1921-62) opened in 1921 as 'Cinema de lux' being rer-built 1952. Closed 1962 and turned into a retail store by the Blackburn Co-operative Society now a Spar shop.

Pall Mall (1795) 1/10 Billinge End Road handloom weavers' cottages.

Palm Street (1903) 87 Whalley New Road Nos 3-25 and 2-30

Palmer Road (1980)

Palmer Street (1888) named after an eminent judge 34 Holland Street Nos 1-97 and 4-66

Panopticon 'Colourfield' Battery Corporation Park (2004) one of a number of landmarks throughout East Lancashire funded by the government to help the economy of the area through attracting many visitors. Architect Joanna Ripon designer Sylvia Smallhorn

Paper Workers' Social Club 18/20 Lord Street West (1939-47)

                                                secretary: E Robinson (1939); H V Dowdall (1942-7)

Paradise Associated Wesleyan chapel (1852) Paradise Lane King Street pre 1852

Paradise (Paradice) (1750) Copy Nook

Paradise Bridge over canal at Eden Street (1887) had a dry dock which was probably the reason for Dock Street

Paradise House (1878) 14 France Street

Paradise Lane (1852-1980) Fielden Street / 30 King Street Nos 3-19 and 10-22

Paradise mill Furthergate owned by Thwaites and Ashburn (1852) cotton spinners and manufacturers later owned by John Dugdale & Sons (1870-1912) cotton manufacturers with Higher Audley Street Foundry Hill Cherry Tree Daisyfield Plantation and Bank mills 184,888 spindles 1970 looms shirtings dhooties and long cloths. Then by Higher Audley Spinning & Manufacturing Co Ltd (1915-22) cotton spinners and manufacturers followed by Canal Beaming Co (1922) and A Wilkinson & Son Ltd (1930) cotton manufacturers

Paradise Place (1852) King Street

Paradise Street (1870) Copy Nook

Paradise Street (1832-1966) 3 Paradise Lane / King Street Nos 3/7 and 16

Paradise Street (1929) Fore Street Lower Darwen

Paradise Street Mill (1818) Ainsworth & Sharples cotton manufacturers

Paradise Terrace (1852-1966) 26 King Street / 5 Paradise Lane No 2

Paradise United Methodist (Paradise Lane Free Methodist chapel) church Feilden Street dating from 1836 and re-built in 1871/2. Trinity Chapel merged in 1965. It was pulled down for the new Wesley Hall, the Blackburn Central Methodist Mission, opened in 1972.

Paris (1851-2011) Ramsgreave 10 houses had been built by 1851

Parish Church (Old) erected about 590. The Saxon church known as St. Mary the Virgin is recorded in the Doomsday Book (about 1080) and was still remaining in 1141 although by now probably Normanised certainly it is recorded that a Norman porch was in existance in 1141. It was restored in 1350 re-edified 1540 demolition commenced February 1821. The last service held was on 10th November 1819. Part of Chancel called the Dunken (Dunkenhalgh) or South Chapel in which the monument to Sir Thomas Walmsley was situated. On the North side was the Osbaldeston Chapel where the body and monument to Sir Edward Osbaldiston lay (1636-63); Ten glass window panels were taken to The Holme Cliviger by Dr Thomas Whitaker former vicar of Whalley and Blackburn. The four gargoyles were known locally as 'Jenny Green Teeth' 'Old Bloody Bones' 'Scrat Nell' 'Hell Fire Sall'

Parish Church (St. Mary's) a Gothic building designed by John Palmer the foundation stone of which was laid by vicar Rev. T D Whitaker on 2nd September 1820. It was consecrated by the Bishop of Chester on the 13th September 1826 having cost £36,000. The church consisted of nave chancel, north & south aisles and a beautiful tower in which was a peel of bells. The organ gallery occupied the west end of the nave and was presented to the church at a cost of £3,000 by Sir William Coddington Bart. MP The east window of Flemish glass was bought by vicar Dr. J W Whittaker in 1826 and later became the North window. The roof was destroyed by fire in January 1831 and replaced at a cost of £2,500                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          see 1924 Blotter

Parish Church Men's Club 2a Freckleton Street (1909-12); Clayton Street (1915-25

                                                             secretary: D Culshaw (1909); J Ward (1915)

Parish Higher Grade School (Church of England Elementary Day School) foundation stone laid by the Right Rev James Fraser Bishop of Manchester on 25th April 1870. Opened on 29th April 1871 the sunday school having been moved here from the Bolton Road Railway Station which had closed. Headmasters: boys' school Nicholas Taylor; girls' school Miss Martha Coupe; infants school Miss Jane Holland. Became Parish Church Higher Grade school February 1885 Infants school opened 1897 but closed three years later Became part of Blackburn Higher Elementary school along with St George's Public Higher Grade school on Blakey Moor in 1911 under the headship of W H Boddy In 1921 it became the Church of England Central school moving to the existing St. Peter's school in Byrom Street and the opening of St. Hilda's school in Dickinson Street in 1939.

Park Avenue (1903) previously Parker Street Shear Brow Nos 1-47 and 2-32

Park Bridge Mill (Heaven's Gate) Grimshaw Park opened 1879 owned by William Thompson & Co (1891-1930) cotton manufacturers 717 looms. 10 months weavers' strike settled 19th February 1908. £7,000 fire on 6th August 1908

Park Cliff (1870) 39 Alexandra Road

Park Crescent (1881) West Park Road 6 houses (1903)

Park Cottage (1881-1949) 151 Revidge Road

Park Delph Quarry now part of Corporation Park

Park Farm Road (1980)

Parker's Buildings (1872) St Paul's Parish

Parker Street (1888) Shear Brow Nos 6 and 19-41

Park Farm (1881-1951) Feniscowles

Park Gate (1878) 50 Preston New Road

Park Hey (1870-1929) 12 East Park Road                                  Daniel Thwaites (1870)

Park House (1870) Livesey                                                           John Fish JP (1870)

Park House (1870) 2 East Park Road                             Adam Bullough (1870)

Park House Private School for girls and boys (1939-47) East Park Road

                                                                        principal: Miss E M Hesketh (1939-47)

Parkinson Street (1885-1980) 46 New Chapel Street Mill Hill Nos 1-75

Parklands Way (1966)

Park Lane (1852) Grimshaw Park

Park Lee Hospital Longshaw Lane / Park Lee Road / Sunnybank Road (1894-1969) This centre for infectious diseases was opened in 1894 and has been continually enlarged. By 1948 it could house 124 beds

matron: Miss M Elliott (1900-3) Miss E Critchley (1939-42)

medical officer: W Allen Daley MD BSc DPH (1924-5) V T Thierens MB Ch B (1930-42) resident medical officer: Donald C Lamont MChB DPH (1924-5)

Park Lee Road (1929) off Sunny Bank Road / Brandy House Brow

Park Mill ran by John Haughton (1824-8) cotton spinner

Park Mount (built1902-3) 1 to 11 terrace Revidge Road facing Corporation Park

Park Place (1832) Eccles Row Grimshaw Park

Park Place (1881-1980) Witton Village / 173 Redlam

Park Place (1929-80) Witton Village / Feniscowles

Park Place Brewery Grimshaw Park was the first brewery in Blackburn built in 1793, commenced brewing in 1794 and closed between 1811-14

Park Place Cottage (1878) Park Place

Park Place House (1870) Park Place                             James Pilkington JP (1870)

Park Place mills Windham Street Grimshaw Park built by Pilkington Bros & Co (1844-78) cotton spinners and manufacturers in 1845 on a previous mill site belonging to John Haughton. In 1858 they employed 1,450 people. Owned by Park Place Spinning Co Ltd (1902-30) cotton spinners & manufacturers then used by D & W Taylor cotton spinners & manufacturers (1894) with Audley Bridge Moss Street Cobden Bridgewater and Jubilee mills 111,800 spindles 2152 looms plain and figured goods dhooties stripes shirtings twills sheetings flannelettes and home trade goods. William Taylor & Sons (1903-4) cotton spinners & manufacturers. It was purchased by the Lancashire Corporation in 1930 and closed. It was demolished in 1936-7 followed by the chimney in 1938

Park Place Terrace (1903-30) Pilkington Street

Park Road (1870) 121 Darwen Street Nos 3-39 and 2-102

Park (Place) Road British School opened in 1851 by James Pilkington MP and William Pilkington. Mixed and Infants (1878) closed in 1965

Park Road Church Institute Pitt Street (1915)              secretary: J Hayhurst (1915)

Park Road Congregational Church of late decorated style was erected and opened in 1857 at a cost of £5,000 and accommodated 1,000 persons. It was closed in 1965 and demolished 2 years later because of dry rot. 3 stained glass Jubilee windows installed in 1908 re-installed at Brownhill Congregational Church now Trinity Congregational Church

Park Road Congregational (Voluntary) School (opened 1851-1915) mixed and infants

Park Road Council (Primary) School (1924-closed 67) Audley mixed and infants

Park Road Foundry (1852) Atlas Works of Clayton Goodfellow & Co Ltd (1903)

Park Road Independent Chapel (1870)

Parkside Clinic 51 Preston New Road (1951)

Parkside Mill Walter Street owned by Blackburn Parkside Manufacturing Co Ltd (1912-30) cotton manufacturers later owned by Prospect Manufacturing Co Ltd (1939-58)

Park School of Dancing 724 Whalley New Road (1939)                   Miss P Wilson

Park Terrace (1870) (34) 2 Preston New Road

Park View (1870-1930) (49)(65) 81 Preston New Road St Paul's Parish    

Robert Duckworth (1870)

Park View (1930) Feniscowles

Park View Crescent (1881-1929) 79/83 Preston New Road

Park View Mill owned by Wellington Mill Co Ltd (1903-4) cotton spinners & manufacturers

Park View Terrace (1903-30) 72 Langham Road

Park View Terrace (1900-30) Redlam Preston Old Road Witton Nos 67-105

Parkwood Road (1966)

Parker Street (1840)                                                                       see Park Avenue

Parsonage Road (1929) off Whalley New Road

Particular Baptist Chapel (1969) Islington was erected in 1760

Patten Street (1899-1929) off 94 Accrington Road

Patterdale Avenue (1980)

Patterdale Road (1966)

Pat(t)erson Street (1870-1980) 13 Highfield Road No 4

Pat(t)erson Street mill owned by George Holden & Co (1891-1939) cotton manufacturers with Commercial mill cambrics jacconettes and fine shirtings and Lancashire Manufacturers Ltd (1939) cotton manufacturers. James Boardman Ltd (1958) Paterson Street & Highfield works mill heating engineers

Pavilions Church Street                                                    see Waterloo Buildings

Peacock's Row (1823-1969) 10 cottages 303 Whalley Old Road Little Harwood near to junction of Whitebirk Drive sold by owner Percy Ashton (1911) demolished in 1947 for road and housing development off Whalley Old Road.

Pea Field (1739) top of Beardwood Brow

Peak Brow (1966)

Pearl Street (1929) 456 Whalley New Road

Pearl Street Mill Kershaw & Co Ltd (1922)

Pearson Street (1832) 119 King Street Nos 13, 15, 23 & 8 (1930) all demolished. Unity mill still used Nos 13 and 23

Peckled Hill (1750)

Peel, Great and Little (1854) off Montague Street in Johnston Street area. W A Abram surmises that the De Blackburns could have originally lived here in fortified Peels (square towers) but there is no evidence of this.

Peel Buildings (1854-1929) 45 King William Street now occupied by M & S whose contractors Bovis Ltd. demolished the Sir Robert Peel statue on the building and because no-one appeared interested in saving it duly destroyed it 10th August 1934. Originally erected by William Edmundson & Sons, builders and contractors, Montague Street, no one is sure to which Robert Peel the statue was erected some 80 years previously (1854)

Peel Close (1980)

Peel Fold (1438) Knuzden previously known as The Crosse or Oldham's Cross Farm property of Robert Peel Brickworks started by William Tattersall of London Smoke in 1859 closing in 1880.  The Oldham Cross was taken by the Peels to Knowlmere Manor near Newton in Bowland in the 19th century.

Peel mill Nab Lane owned by J & F Johnston (1870-8) cotton manufacturers & dyers then Higson & Sharples (1887) with Roe Lee mill followed by Higson Bros Ltd (1891-1930) cotton spinners & manufacturers with Canton mill 1254 looms fine cambrics mulls jacconettes etc. Demolished April 2003

Peel Ropery Nab Lane (1958) Peter Leslie & Son Ltd.

Peel Street (1870) Furthergate

Peel Street (1836) Old Bank Street / Snig Brook

Peel Street (1870) School Street

Peel Street (1903-90) Mill Hill Livesey Nos 4-38

Peel Street (1929) Havelock Street

Peel Street mill Livesey owned by John Fish Ltd (1930-51) cotton spinner & manufacturer along with Waterfall Florence Skew Bridge and Ewood mills.

Peel Terrace (1870-1930) 64 Cowell Street / Little Peel Street Nab Lane

Peel works Cardwell Place William Reay engineer & millwright (1894)

Pelham Street (1903-80) 40 Florence Street Nos 9-33

Pellmell (1843) Billinge End Road Yellow Hills

Pemberton Clough (1772)                                                            see Corporation Park

Pemberton Street (1858-1980) Roe Lee Nos 2-40

Pembroke Street (1870-1980) Islington Nos 1/2

Pendle Drive (1980)

Pendle House (1980)

Pendle Street (1870-1980) 9 Audley Street Nos 5-99 and 2-84

Pennine Films early films produced in Blackburn by Mitchell & Kenyon

Penny Street (1795) going to Whalley from 7 Salford Nos 5-167 and 8-84 Named because the land was let at a rent of 1d per sq yrd when opened up

Penshaw Close (1980)

Penzance Street (1899-1903) Mill Hill Street Nos 1-27 and 2

The People's College Whalley Range (1/10/1948-69) a centre for adult education activities, providing accommodation for classes organized by the Extra-Mural Department of Manchester University, the Workers' Educational Association and the Local Education Authority and home of many local societies.

The People's Dispensary for Sick Animals of the Poor (Incorporated) Brewery Street (1930)

The People's Mission between 95 and 103 King Street (1912-25) became Regent Cinema. Had a troop of Boy Scouts

Peppermint Place (1983) Lord Square                           see The Cavendish

Percival Street (1903-80) 166 Whalley Range Nos 3-15 and 4-10

Percy Street (1903) Bonsall Street Mill Hill Nos 1-13

Peridot Close (1980)

Perkins Street (1980)

Peronne Crescent (1929) Accrington Road Intack named after the World War 1 French village adopted by Blackburn

Perseverance Works St Peter's Street owned by Thomas Winter (1878) engineer machinist brassfounder & finisher maker of sizing apparatus. Thomas Winter & Co Byrom Street & Canterbury Street (1894)

Perth Street (1929-66) Hancock Street

Peter Street (1870) 88 Whalley Old Road / Moss Street Nos 41-127 and 28-78

Peter Street Primitive Methodist church

Peter Street Sawmills (1903) James Parker (1903)

Petrel Close (1980)

Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain (North-East Lancashire Branch) 24 Richmond Terrace (1930-5); 17 Furthergate (1942-51);                                            

secretary: Fred Law (1930-5); F Gillibrand MPS (1942-51);

Philanthropic Burial Society 3 Princes Street (1878-81);      president: Thomas Austin (1881); secretary: Abm. Culshaw (1878-81)

Philanthropic Mutual Assurance Society 1 Princes Street (1878-81); secretary: Richard Mc Neall (1878-81) 2 Heaton Street secretary: Richard McNeall (1903)

Philips Road (1948) had 148 “Wates" prefabricated houses built from 1948

Phillips Social Club 21 Railway Road (1942); 13a Cort Street (1947)

Phoenix Iron Works Bank Top owned by William Dickinson & Sons (1870-1903) machinists ironfounders & power-loom makers, now the site of St Wilfred's School. In 1962 acquired by Pollard Bearings from R & J Dick who had purchased it from Blackburn Loom Co in 1959

Phoenix mill Pump Street Whalley Banks (1844) owned by R Raynsford Jackson & Brothers (1870-8) cotton spinners & manufacturers Phoenix Mill Company (1878-94) 25,000 spindles (1891) then William Greenwood (1903-4) also James Dickinson (1891-4) with Shakespeare mill 44,000 spindles 856 looms good shirtings. William Dickinson & Sons cotton spinners & manufacturers (1870-1904). William Drake (1922) Haydock & Drake Ltd (1958) heald and reed manufacturers

Phrenological Society (1839) hon members Dr Coombe and William Holl FGS

Pickering Fold (1980)

Pickering Fold Farm (1786-1969) Roman Road Blackamoor Lower Darwen Mrs Leigh (1870)

Pickop Estate Office 7 Richmond Terrace (1924-51);             agent: F Talbot (1930-42)

Pickup Bank (1660)

Pickup Street (1870) Canal Street

Pickup Street (1878-1980) (169)145 Birley Street Nos 3 and 40

Picton Street (1878-1980) 36 Livesey Branch Road Livesey

Pigeon Hill (1898) tenement in Mellor

Pilkington's Buildings (1852) Nova Scotia

Pilkington Schools Park Lane Grimshaw Park opened 1st January 1851 designed by Mr Patterson of Blackburn and financed by James Pilkington MP for Blackburn.

Pilkington Street (1852-1980) George Street / Grimshaw Park / 29 Windham Street Nos 1-25 and 2-28

Pilkington Street (1958-80) Jubilee Street

Pilmuir Road (1958) off 58 Pritchard Street

Pilmuir Street (1929) off 58 Pritchard Street

Pinchem (1898) cottages Revidge Billinge End Blackburn

Pine Place (1878-1930) 153 / 173 Duke's Brow

Pine Street (1870) (50)128 Whalley (New) Road Nos 1-25 and 2-38

Pinewood (1980)

Pinfold Farm (1870) Lower Darwen                                                        John Worsley (1870)

Pink Place (1881-1980) 15 Rutland Street Redlam Nos 1-9 and 2-16

Pink Street (1870-1968) 94 Bank Top No 36

Pioneer Mill, Kelly Street Mill Hill owned by Blackburn Pioneer Mill Co Ltd (1912-58) had 712 looms

Pippin Street (1929) Four Lanes End

Pitt Street (1870-1980) 23 Park Road Nos 1-39 and 2-66

Place House Farm (1878-1942) Haslingden Road Whinney Heights        

                                                                                                Joseph Frankland (1878)

Plain Place (1929-1980) 22 Bolton Road St Luke's

Plane Street (1870) (48)112 Whalley (New) Road Nos 7-77 and 2-70

Plane Tree Hall (1848) Livesey Branch Road 

Plane Tree Road (1980)

Plantation Mill Cob Wall (1852) owned by William Henry Turner & Thomas Blucher cotton spinners

Plantation mill Stanley Street (1844) owned by Robert Spencer (1870) cotton spinner then John Spencer (1878) cotton spinner & manufacturer followed by John Dugdale & Sons (Spinners) Ltd (1891-1958) cotton spinners & manufacturers with Higher Audley Street Paradise Foundry Hill Cecil Street Cherry Tree Daisyfield and Bank mills 184,888 spindles 1970 looms shirtings dhooties and long cloths. Purchased by Graham & Brown Ltd wallpaper manufacturers (1963) but closed in 1982 and was then demolished

Plantation Mill Eanam Plantation Ring Mill Spinning Co Ltd (1922)

Plantation Street (1903-66) King's Road Livesey Nos 1-19 now Plantation Road

Plantation Terrace (1918) Brownhill Whalley New Road No 3

Pleasant View (1870-1912) Bury Hill Brandy House Brow

Pleasant View (1903-2007) Roman Road Nos 1-23

Pleasant View (1881-1929) Wellington Road / 160 Livesey Branch Road

Pleasant View (1900-1980) 301 Whalley Old Road / Laburnham Road Little Harwood

Pleasington (Plesigtune, Plesingtuna, Pleasingtone, Pleasingtonne, Plesington, Plesingtonn, Plessington, Plessingtonn) (1196) the village of Plessa's people The manor of Pleasington dates back to the time of King John and passed from the de Pleasingtons to the Winckleys around 1300 thence by marriage to the Ainsworths in 1350. Edward Ainsworth sold the manor to Richard Butler in 1777 and then to Miss Mary Butler followed by Mary's cousin John Bowden in 1840. He then took the name Butler Bowden.

Pleasington Catholic School opened 1850 close to the Priory it closed in 1926 being replaced by a building opposite the Priory this in turn closed in the early 1960's.

Pleasington Cemetery opened in 1943. Crematorium with chapel added in 1956.

Pleasington Hall Farm (1840-1951)

Pleasington Old Hall dates from 1587. Grade 2* listed. 1587 T.H.I.S carved on lintel over door.

Pleasington New Hall built by John Francis Butler in 1807 vacated by Colonel John E Butler-Bowden prior to 1915. The 170 acres estate was purchased by Blackburn Corporation in 1931 to make way for the new 93 acre cemetery and crematorium.

Pleasington Playing Fields 58 acres of land purchased from Major Feilden to form playing fields.

Pleasington Priory a catholic church dedicated to SS Mary and John the Baptist. Designed by the architect of Blackburn Parish church John Palmer it was opened on the 24th August 1819 by the Rt Rev Dr Gibson VA with pontifical mass and cost £20,000 defrayed by John Francis Butler. A Baptistry Chapel was added in 1923 costing £160

Pleasington Road (1980)

Pleasington School opened January 1879 closed 1909 pupils transferred to Feniscowles

Pleasington Street (1903-80) Bridgewater Street Nos 1-49

Pleasington Village School built 1750s from gift of £100 left by William Wallbank (1744)

Pleck(s') Farm (1836-1966) Pleckgate Road John Knowles (1836) Edmund Hacking (1878) C H Oates (1966)

Pleck Farm Avenue (1980)

Pleckgate (1832) Lane Ends 13 family (1903)

Pleckgate City Learning Centre (2003) Pleckgate High School                 

                                                                                                see City Learning Centres

Pleckgate Fold (1949) Pleckgate Road

Pleckgate Comprensive High School (1968-2011) Pleckgate Road opened on Wednesday 24th April 1968 at a cost of £326,579 allowing Blakey Moor Boys and Girls schools to move in. Closed Tuesday 19th July 2011 to move to new buildings in September 2011 now known as Pleckgate High School Mathematic and Computing College

Pleckgate Playing Fields previously Wooldridge Playing Fields (1938)

Pleckgate Road (1806) 254 Shear Brow 103-109 a terrace of four weavers cottages 113 one of pair of weavers cottages 143 April Cottage had a ground floor weavers loomshop

Plush Street (1929-1980) 483 Bolton Road

Plymouth Street (1870-1966) 15 Artillery Street / Ordnance Street Nos 1-31 and 4-28

Plymouth Street Mill owned by Livesey & Grimshaw (1878) cotton doublers & heald yarn manufacturers

Poet's Corner was a beer house on corner of Nab Lane and Bradshaw Street at one time kept by the poet William Billington. It was the haunt of his literary friends

Pole Street (1870) 5 Addison Street

Pole Street East (1870) Lower Audley Street

Police Court Prison Gate Mission 12 Richmond Terrace (1929) Sessions House (1941-8)

and Blackburn Detention Home 145 Preston New Road (1924-35)

superintendent: W Bebbington (1930-5); missioner: George S Duckworth (1930-5)

Police

Borough Police Fire Brigade Clayton Street (1852-89) superintendent: Thomas Marshall (1852); chief: George Lewis; inspector: J Fox (1889)

Borough Police Station Town Hall superintendent: William Laverty (1858); chief constable: Joseph Potts (1878); Major H W Shoubridge BSC (1881); William Ward (1885); Isaac G Lewis (1887-1913);

Police Station (Central) Sessions House Northgate opened on 25 July 1912. Closed 19/12/2002        

chief constable: C Hodson OBE (1915-30); C G Looms (1935-51);  police superintendent: G Cooper (1930);

(Branch) Brookhouse (1910)

(Branch) Copy Nook: inspector; J D Nolan (1930)

(Branch) 51 Duckworth Street: inspector; H Heyes (1930)     

HQ Police Station (Eastern Division) opened 12/12/2002 at Greenbank Business Park, Whitebirk Industrial Estate

(Branch) walk in at Blackburn Railway Station opened 19/12/2002 

Police Commissioners (1803) took over the responsibilities of paving, lighting, watching and cleansing from the Select vestry

Pollard Terrace (1888-1930) 151 Whalley New Road

Pollard Street (1870-1958) 32 Whalley Old Road Nos 1-47 and 8-14

Polly Street (1903-80) 88 Daisy Street Nos 3-23 and 2-30

Polman Avenue (1929) off Sycamore Road     

Pomfret Street (1878-1980) 37 Sharples Street

Poole Street (1929-80) off Bentley Street

Poor Law Union                                                                 see Union Workhouse

Poplar Street (1885) 133 Whalley New Road Nos 5-123 and 2-130

Poplar Terrace (1903-30) 135/145 Whalley New Road

Portland Place (1912-1929) Caton Street / Regent Street

Portland Street (1878-1980) Witton Parade Nos 17-75 and 28

Portree Crescent (1958)

Portsmouth Street (1870-1966) 9 Artillery Street / Woolwich Street Nos 2-32 and 31

Postmen's Club 23 Lord Street was built in 1878.                   secretary: John Riley (1903)

Post Office (Stamp Office) Clayton Street                                  agent: Mary White

14 Church Street                 postmistress: Mrs Elizabeth Cross (1818-29)

Northgate                                                      Luke Wade

Clayton Street                                                           Moore

            King Street                            postmaster: Thomas Butterfield (1848-58)

                        Corporation Street  

                        30 Church Street                             distributor: Edward Wharton (1870)                                 

                        New Market Street 13 Fleming Square (1878-85)

                                                                                     postmaster: Euclid Shaw (1878)

Lord Street (1881-97)                                  George Brooks (1881-5) Francis Oldfield (1897)

25 Richmond Terrace (1885)

postmaster: George Birchall (1860-  ); R Winter; William Gregson (1878-85); George Scott (1889-91); Francis Oldfield (1903-5); D E Jones (1905);

Post Office (and Savings Bank) (New General) Darwen Street built of ashlar stone and some brick opened 11th November 1907 costing £15,000 to a design by Walter Pott from the Offi8ce of Works. Closed in 1972 Extended to include telephone exchange previously on Astley gate now wine bar 'The Postal Order' 

postmaster: George Harris (1905-12); George Frederick Herring (1915); B Cockayne (1924-5); C Harvey (1930-5); A H Trinder (1939); George Stark (1942);

Post Office Engineering Department St. John's Lodge Ainsworth Street  (1930) 11 Church Street (1939)

Post Office Telephones 8/10 Astley Gate (1912) Darwen Street (1915) St. John's Lodge 21 Richmond Terrace (1924-48)                                 

district manager: C Remington M I E E  (1912); D J Barnes A M I E E (1915); E E Stockens (1924-5)

Contract Department: Ainsworth Street (1930)

Engineering Dept. Witton Lodge, Cavendish Place (1939-51)

Postal Telegraph Office 11 Town Hall Street (1878)   clerk: C E Colbeck (1878)

(Old) Pothouse

Pot House Lane (1852) Grimshaw Park                                     now Haslingden Road

Potter's Farm (1870-1942) (Potter's Plantation) Broken Stone Road Livesey John Ayrton (1870)

Pottery Hill                                                                           see Grimshaw Park

Powder Magazine (built 1790s-1852) on north side of the Moor Grimshaw Park

Power Loom Weavers' Association founded June 1854 14 Back Lane (1870-81); Clayton Street (1924-5)         secretary: John Whalley (1870-81); L Bates (1924-5)

Pre-fabs were the answer to post-war housing shortages.

145 temporary ones were erected in Audley area and 55 more at Blackamoor.

Permanent ones include 80 'BISF' house at laburnum Road, 148 'Wates' houses at Philips Road and 108 'Orlit' houses at Burnley Road.

Presbyterian Chapel Mount Street (1818)

Preston Guardian office 9 Northgate (1878)                             agent: Thomas Yates (1878)

(3) 12 Church Street (1881)                                               publisher: George Toulmin (1881)

New Water Street.                                                                       publishers: George Toulmin & Sons (1903-15)

Preston Herald office Corporation Street (1878); Church Street (1881); 17 King William Street (1885);                                                             publishers: Henry Davies & Co. (1878-81)

Preston New Road Sudell Cross Nos. 42, 44 & 46 built 1850-70 Grade 2 listed in 1974. The road was opened in 1825 having been built by the Turnpike Trust. 58 built in 1840? Nos 11-301 and 4-196

Preston Old Road (1929) Griffin

Pretoria Terrace (1912-30) Heys Lane

Primitive Methodist Chapel 9 Bentham Road opened on 28/5/1910 by Mrs James Kay ex mayoress costing £1,163 0s 10d prior to this in 1888 house meetings were held and a Sunday school formed. A corrugated iron building was erected in 1895 but was too small and a building was purchased from Darwen Unitarians costing £360

Primitive Methodist Chapel Ebenezer Eanam (bef 1817)

Primitive Methodist Chapel Eccles Street (bef 1895)

Primitive Methodist Chapel Greenfield Street (bef 1895)

Primitive Methodist Chapel Mosley Street opened in 1872

Primitive Methodist Chapel Oxford Street Higher Audley (bef 1895)

Primitive Methodist Chapel Salisbury Street Daisyfield (bef 1895)

Primitive Methodist Chapel Waterfall Buildings (1889)

Primitive Methodist Chapel Zion Montague Street (bef 1895)

Primitive Methodist school / church Hawthorne Street opened 4th April 1908

Primrose Bank (1852-1980) 96 Lark Hill / Trinity Street Nos 1-55 and 4-54

Primrose Hill (1870-1980) Crossfield Street / Park Place handloom weavers cottages

Primrose Hill (1929) Primrose Terrace St Mark's

Primrose Hill Bridge (1848) Mill Hill

Primrose Hill Farm (1848-70) Livesey                                        T Bradshaw (1870)

Primrose mill (Th' Smut) Bower House Fold Livesey owned by William Birtwistle Allied Mills Ltd (1958) previously John Fish Ltd (1878-1930) cotton spinner & manufacturer with Waterfall mill 66,952 spindles 1752 looms shirtings. Demolished 1964 to build St Peter's RC junior school

Primrose Street (1852) Grimshaw Park

Primrose Terrace (1903) Hawkins Street / Bowerhouse Fold Mill Hill Nos 35-41 and 28-34

Prince Albert Street (1870-1929) School Street No 1

Prince's Street (1832) previously Princess Street Nos. 1 & 3 built 18th c. Grade 2 listed 1974 off (44) 50 King Street Nos 1-11 and 2

Princes Street back (1878) Princes Street

Princes Street British School (1903) mixed and infants

Prince's Theatre Jubilee Street                                                   see Grand Theatre

Princess Gardens (1951) Feniscowles

Princess Street (1852) Amberley Street / Freckleton Street   

                                                                                            named after Princess Charlotte

Princess Street (1903-80) Waterfall Livesey Nos 1-35 and 6-14

Princess Terrace (1903-30) 462/474 Whalley New Road

Princess Terrace (1881-1930) Wellington Road / 161 Livesey Branch Road

Princess View (1870-1929) 35/37 Duke's Brow                                  

Thomas Parkinson, William Pickles (1870)

Prince of Wales' Club Lower Cockcroft (1900-39)   secretary: William Roberts (1900) A Lomax (1903) James Stuart (1909-15) C Mitton (1939)

Prince of Wales' Terrace (1878-1929) (13) 15 Duke's Brow

Pringle Street (1885) Bennington Street Nos 1-229 and 56-244

Printer Street (1899-1966) 15 Accrington Road

Prior Bank (1903-29) 102 Preston New Road

Prior's Close (1980)

Pritchard Street (1903-80) off Southworth Street / Infirmary Road Nos 3-7 and 6-54

Probation Office Court House Northgate (1951)                                              probation officer: G Shaw (1951)

Proctor Nook Farm (1870-1949) Lower Darwen                                              Thomas Baron (1870)

Procter Street (1878-1980) 11 Mosley Street Nos 1 and 2-26

Progress Avenue (1980)

Progress Street (1903-66) St Stephen's Road Little Harwood Nos 1-27

Progress Works Benson Street Little Harwood (1958) William Heading & Co 16 narrow fabric looms

Property Owners' Association 1a Tacketts Street (1941)

The Prospect House Albert Street (1890)

Prospect Mill Walter Street owned by Prospect Manufacturing Co Ltd (1930-58) cotton manufacturers

Prospect Mill Wharf Street was owned by George Mayhall (1902) later by Birtwistle & Oddie Ltd (1912-58) cotton manufacturers and had 350 looms

Prospect Place (1870)                                                                       John Baldwin, Miss Grace Thwaites (1870)

Prospect Villas (1870-1921) Infirmary Road Nova Scotia                               John Harrison (1870)

Proudlove('s) Row (1850-1929) Whalley Banks St Peter's Parish

Providence Street (1929-80) 221 Whalley Old Road

Providence Terrace, St James' Road (1903) 148-162

P S A Institute Freckleton Street

                                                secretary: W J Garland (1903); George Hamilton (1909-12)

Public Abattoir Sumner Street (1889-1941)                                          superintendent: Charles Knight (1889-97)

Public Art

            Statues:         W H Hornby

                                    W Gladstone

                                    Queen Victoria                                                         see seperate descriptions

Blackburn Cathedral   The Healing of the Nations 21ft dia disc artist: Mark Jalland                                              £100000        (2001)

Bolton Road All Saints' churchyard metal structures   demolished 2007

Boulevard                  grandmother & child with teddy    artist: Alan Wilson                                                    £25000           (1997)

Church Street                       5 sculptures depicting growth of a cotton bud                                                                £250000    (2001-3)

Darwen Street bridge  new design parapet

Eanam Wharf           Prospect House 6 mosaics artists and children from Higher Croft                                         (2004)

King George's Hall  giant gold coloured French horn       artists: Adrian Noakes & Noah Rose               £4000             (1997)

King Street bridge    new design parapet                                                                                                             (2003)

The Bradi, Sudell Cross Light Sabre 32ft high               designer Simon Watkinson                                               £75,900          (2007)

Livesey Branch Road / Moorgate Street mini stonehenge                                                                                           (2000)

Lord's square                        mother & child                                  sculptor Robert Thomas                                         £2000     (1974)        removed for re-development

Montague Street / Oakenhurst Road tiger sculpture                 artist: Martyn Bednarczuck                                     (2004)

Museum                    outsize artist's brush                                                                                                                       £4000     (1997)

Queen's Park                       tree trunk caterpillar                         srtist: John Adamson                                                          (2004)

Railway Station        24m mural of             famous people                     artist: Stephen Charnock                                       £40000     (2001)

Shadsworth              The Beehive

Town centre              2 metal signposts 9m & 7m high Markets                                                                                   £24000

                                    1 millenium marker                                                                                                              £25000

Town Hall Street & Northgate   metal gates                                designers: Salma Younus St. Silas' Primary School

                                                            artists: Michael Johnson & Hilary Cartmell   (1997)

                                    The Bicycle Stand  designer David Barraclough                                                                      (1993)

Greenbank Business Park 3 metal trees 7.5m high                                                                                                      £64000

Red Lion Roundabout                                            designers Eaton Waygood Associates                                        (2008)

Philips Business Park roundabout 1 metal tree

Guide                         beehive on roundabout                  artist: Malcolm Robertson                                       (1999)

Lower Eccleshill link road  Arte et Labore                                   artist: Tom Dugdale                                                             £27000    (1999)

Our Lady & St. John's High school shell sculpture                   artist: Stephen Charnock

Higher Croft Road   totem pole

Bank Top King Street metal disc (Lidl store)                                                                                                                                           (2003)

Lower Audley                       industrial machinery (Clayton & Goodfellow)

Montague Street      stone lion (Netto store)                                                                                                        (2004)

Preston New Road / Adelaide Terrace rock sculpture

Queen's Park High school recycled scrap woman                    sculptor: Sahaja                                                       (1999)

Queen's Park Hospital

River Darwen Parkway elm sculpture                  artists: Keith Barrett & Peter Clark

Spring Lane / Preston Old Road   rock art

Threads, Mall Church Street 160ft long                           artists; Maria Beddoes & Archangel                     (2010)

Whalley Range        tray & bottle on tall stilts

Whitebirk                   Gateway sculpture

Witton CountryPark steel structure with bridge              sculptor: William Pym                                              (2000)

                                    woodcutter axeman                                                                                                             (1998)

                                    giant steel crow on tree                   artist: John Fortnum

Public Assistance (County No. 5 Blackburn Area), Mill Lane (1939); Town Hall (1930-5);          officer: G B Pye (1930-5)

Public Band Club and Institute Roney Street (1924-47)secretary: F Bleasdale (1924-5); N Hunt (1930-5);

Public Baths Cross Street St Peter's (1870) Freckleton Street

                                                                                                see Freckleton Street Baths

Public Health Department 66 Victoria Street (1930-60s); clinics included maternity & child welfare, ante-natal, post-natal, diptheria immunizing, dental, opthalmic, inspection and ultra violet light.                                 medical officer: V T Thierens MB Ch B (1930-42)

Public (Assembly) Halls Northgate the foundation stone of which was laid by King George V and Queen Mary in 1913 Subsequently known as King George's Hall and opened by Lord Derby on 19th October 1921. Memorial organ unveiled in 1922 at a cost of £12,000 this was destroyed by fire in 1981 and was replaced at a cost of £350,000. An opening concert took place on Tuesday 25th October 1921 by the St Cecilia and Vocal Union.

Public Free Library and Museum opened 17 February 1862 in large rooms on the second floor of the south wing of the Town Hall. Opened in Town Hall Street in 1864. The library in Library Street (Museum Street) was designed by Messrs. Woodzell and Collcutt of London and the foundation stone laid on 18 July 1872 by Thomas Bury the Mayor. It was opened on 11 June 1874 by John Pickop the Mayor. The cost was approx. £10,000.

chief librarian and curator: R Ashton (1930) J Hindle FLA. (1939) J W Thomas ALA (1951)

Public Higher Grade School opened on Montague Street

Pulford Farm (1902-1996) Guide St. Thomas' Ward

                                                                        Walter N & Mamie Holgate (1940s-70s)

Pump Street (1824-52) High Street Bolton Road Nova Scotia

Pump Street (1852-1980) 76 Whalley Banks King Street Nos 1 and 17

Pump Street Mill (Thunner and Leetning) owned by John Coupe (1878) cotton weavers then Banister Bros. & Moore Ltd (1902) later by John Bateson (Blackburn Ltd (1912) cotton manufacturers followed by Cotton Bros Co Ltd (1915-30) cotton manufacturers then H Robinson (Damask) Ltd (1939-51)

Pupil Teachers' Centre (1903) St. Peter Street            head master: John D Baxter BA

Putforth(d) Farm (1870-1958) Lower Darwen               John Worsley (1870)

Pyethorne (1609)

Pyethorn Farm (1843-81) Wilpshire        John Holgate (1870) George Greaves (1881)

Henry Holdsworth (1881)​


​​back to top​​