​Blackburn Encyclopedia V-Z​​​

Vaccination Officer Simmons Street (1909); Cardwell Place (1924-5); 4 King Street (1942);

                                                            A E Stephenson (1909); C G Dickinson (1924-5); J Gibbons (1942)

Vale Street (1878-1980) off Rockcliffe Street / Mosley Street / Abraham Street Nos 2-36

Vancouver Crescent (1958) Lammack

Vardon Street (1958) 52 Nares Road

Vaux Hall Row (1851) Witton

Vauxhall Street (1878-1980) 107 Redlam Witton No 2

Vauxhall Terrace (1903-29) Redlam Nos 146-152

Vehicle Workers' Institution Kendal Street (1930-5);                         secretary: J Turner (1930-5)

Velvet Street (1929) 469 Bolton Road

Venetian Hall (1888-1912) Darwen Street

Vernon Street (1878-1980) 8 Weir Street Nos 2-16

Vernon Steet Shuttle Works (1903) Thomas Dawson (1903). R Parkinson & Co Ltd (1958) sheet metal workers

Vicar Heys (1750)

Vicar Street (1836) Lark Hill Street / 91 Salford Nos 1-9 and 20

Victoria Avenue (1966) Livesey

Victoria Benefit Building Society (1852)                                                          secretary: John Ibbotson (1852)

Victoria Boiler Works Wensley Road owned by Thomas Potter & Co (1870) boilermakers

Victoria Brewery Mary Ann Street closed in 1925 owned by Thomas Whewell (1878) brewer

Victoria Buildings (1851-1951) 40 King William Street Market Place housed E H Booth & Co. from 1902 to 1966. Demolished in 1965 when Booth's opened new supermarket in shopping precinct having received £135,000 for their shop in Victoria Buildings. They closed down in the centre in 1990. Nos 46-56 demolished

Victoria Buildings (1870) Bolton Road

Victoria Chambers (1881-1949) 32 Victoria Street

Victoria Court (1912-49) 5a Ainsworth Street facing the back entrance of Woolworth's store

Victoria Cross the junction of Victoria Street and Charlotte Street (1910-1980)

Victoria House (1980) Queen's Road

Victoria mill Mill Hill R & J Shaw (1887) with Leyland Street mill 733 looms shirtings & jacconetts then owned by Duckworth, Haworth and Co (1891-4) 512 looms India and China skirtings. Birtwistle & Fielding Ltd (1902-15) cotton manufacturers used for cork insulation in 1937

Victoria Mill (1915) owned by Lawrence Thompson  & Sons cotton manufacturers

Victoria Mill Gt Bolton Street / Hall Street Nova Scotia owned by Thomas Bolton & Taylor (1844-70) Thomas Bolton & Co (1878) cotton spinners & manufacturers later owned by Davenport Cross and Baron 447 loms Turkey reds printers and cambrics. Lawrence Thompson & Sons (1902-12) cotton manufacturers and then Hall Street Mill Co Ltd (1930-58) who had 344 looms

Victoria Mount (built 1897-8) 1 to 15 terrace Revidge Road facing Corporation Park

Victoria Picture Hall originally assembly rooms (Charnley's Pictures 1907) Eanam Bridge Higher Barn Street (1907-1960). 700 seats Blackburn's first purpose built cinema opened in 1907 collapsed 1960.                                                                                                                                    general manager: John Charnley (1923)

Victoria Place (1929) Fore street

Victoria Street (1844) Montague Street

Victoria Street (1851-1980) Feilden Street / 49 Church Street Nos. 25-31 19th c. Grade 2 listed 1974 Nos 1-69 and 2-98

Victoria Street (1878) Livesey Nos 3-63 and 6/40

Victoria Terrace (1878-1929) Wellington Road / 75 Livesey Branch Road

Victoria Terrace (1887-2007) 14 Accrington Road

Victoria Terrace (1903-29) 14 Longshaw Lane Bolton Road Nos 14-40

Victoria Villa (1881) Revidge Road

Victoria Villas (1903) Shear brow Nos 75/77

View Farm (1870) Lower Darwen                                                                        John Robinson (1870)

Viewfield (1851)

Viewfield House (1878) owned by Francis Johnston JP (1881) cotton manufacturer of J & F Johnston Peel Mill Nab Lane;

Industrial Children's home (1903) Hostel for unmarried mothers and babies Oozehead Lane (1929-58)

          matron: Miss H Langshaw (1930); Miss R Aust (1939); Miss E R     (1942)

View Road (1966) Moss Bridge

Village Farm (1902-66) Fore Street Branch Road Lower Darwen                 W E Sharples (1966)

Vincent Street (1903-80) 404 Bolton Road Nos 1-15 and 4-14

Volunteer Battalion Headquarters of 3rd Brigade Lancashire Artillery (1870) 40 King Street

1st V B East Lancs Regiment Canterbury Street (1897)           Captain H E Voyle adjutant (1897)

Vue Cinema (2011) Peel Leisure & Retail Park Lower Audley Street

Multi-plex 10 screen cinema with 1635 seats

Waddington Farm (1870-1951) Heys Lane Bunker's Hill Livesey                Henry Haworth (1870)

Wagtail (1836-1949) (Middle Bank) tenement at Revidge Road top of Duke's Brow around the Quarrymans'Arms public house consisted of 15 handloom weavers' cottages.

Wagtail Quarry (pre 1844) right off Duke's Brow

Wain Court (1980)

Walden Road (1929) off Parsonage Road

Walkdens (1831) further along Bolton Road than Nova Scotia

Walker Road (1980)

Walker Street (1870-1980) 49 Lower Audley Street Nos 1-19 and 4-38

Walk Mill Feniscowles 18c cottage now at Walk Mill Bridge

Wall Street (1870-1966) 74 Whalley Old Road Nos 55-69

Wallace Street (1966)

Walmsleys (1851) Feniscowles

Walmsley Fold Farm (1870-1966) Blackamoor Road Guide Lower Darwen

                                    Esther Alice Dugdale (1870) George Haworth (1870) H Holden & D Medley (1996)

Walmsley Street (1851-1958) Cross Street Brookhouse / Alfred Street

Walnut Street (1903) 117 Whalley New Road Nos 3-31 and 2-114

Walnut View (1896) Walnut Street 3 families

Walpole Street (1870-1980) 83 Lower Audley Street Nos 1-15 and 4-26

Walpole Street Cathedral Mission (1934)

Walpole Street mill owned by Solomon Longworth & Sons (1870-94) cotton spinner & manufacturer with Bath Mill and Judge Walmsley mill Whalley 1054 looms dhooties dobbies & plain goods. John Richards & Son Walpole Street works doublers of heald yearns 1500 spindles (1887-91) then Thomas Longworth (1902-39) cotton manufacturers

Walpole Street Corn mill (built 1901) for Greenwood's. Demolished 1963

Walsh's Court (1851-1958) 17 Leyland Street

Walsh Street (1870-1980) Ivy Street Nos 1/5/23/27 and 6/16

Walter Street (1885-1980) Dombey Street Nos 1-237 and 2-106

Walter Street Mill Prospect Manufacturing Co Ltd (1922)

Walton's Buildings (1872) St Thomas' Parish

Walton Crescent (1998) Roman Road

Warble Hey (1898) tenement in Mellor

Warcock Green Farm (1893) Knuzden

Ward Street (1870-1966) 28 Whalley Range Nos 15/19 and 16-22

Ward Street Mill owned by Ward Street Mill Co Ltd (1912-30) cotton manufacturers

Wareham Street (1899) Rydal Road Little Harwood Nos 5 and 2-18

Warm Lane (1966)

War Memorial Corporation Park unveiled 2/8/1924 previously been on Blakey Moor for a short time

Warrenside Close (1980)

Warrington Street (1929) 205 Whalley Old Road Little Harwood Nos 23-45

Wartley Street Mill Bent Street (1852) owned by William Dickinson cotton spinner & manufacturer

Warwick Street (1870-1980) 12 Feilden Street / Nab Lane Nos 1-27 and 2-30

Wasdale Avenue (1980)

Washington Terrace (1929) 40 London Road

Waste Dealers' Exchange Town Hall Street (1881);

Water Street & back (1772-1958) previously known as Cllyer Street Salford Bridge Nos 13/19-59 and 18-22

Water Street (1870) Whalley New Road

Water                                                                                                             see also reservoirs

Water works first established in 1772 supplying water from two small reservoirs in Pemberton Clough

Blackburn Waterworks Company 2 Clayton Street formed in 1844, chairman Thomas Dugdale, began to supply from Pickup Bank, Guide, Daisy Green, Audley and Fishmoor reservoirs in 1848 after main pipes were laid from May 1847. Mr Taylor and Mr Cochrane contracted to do the work for £13,740 with pipes purchased from Messrs Bramah and Cochrane. By February 1852 the length of mains pipes was 23 miles. The supply of water from the Bowland Forest gathering grounds and Stocks reservoir was completed in 1884 at a cost of £328,627 and water was supplied via a gravity feed 30" pipe

Manager: James Tattersall (1852-5); secretary collector: John Ibbotson (1852)

Blackburn Corporation Waterworks department 4 Clayton Street (1870-8); Municipal Offices, Victoria Street (1881-9); Town Hall (1903-51); manager: Joseph Wilson (1878-89); secretary: John S Whitehead (1870); William Thompson (1881);

manager: Joseph Wilson (1903); engineer: W Stubbs (1913);

Blackburn Corporation Borough & Water Engineers' Department Town Hall (1924-51)

engineer: H M Webb B Sc AMICE (1930); William Pickstone AMInstCE MIMunE (1939-51); G McKay AMInstCE AMInstWE (1951);

storeyard: Ainsworth Street (1930); Regent Street (1931); Cort Street (1931-9); Fort Street (1951);

Waterfall Buildings (1878-1949) Peel Street (Havelock Street) Livesey

Waterfall Iron works (1903) Mill Hill George Greenwood (1903)

Waterfall Primitive / Methodist Free Church (1889) Waterfall Buildings

Waterfall mill (Black Rock) Queen Victoria Street Mill Hill owned by William Birtwistle Allied Mills Ltd (1958) previously John Fish Ltd (1870-1951) cotton spinner and manufacturer with Primrose mill Livesey 66,952 spindles 1752 looms shirtings also Peel Street Florence Skew Bridge and Ewood mills, during which time a fire occurred on 28th December 1907. Also Porter Bros cotton manufacturers (1894)

Waterloo (1840) Livesey three blocks of houses fronting onto Wellington Road may have been a weavers colony 312 314 324 324a 326 328 330 & 332 all have signs of having been loomshops

Waterloo Buildings (Pavilions) Church Street Building of the original nine buildings consisting of 5 double and 4 single shops commenced in 1835 and was completed in 1837. While technically early Victorian era they are of pure Classical Grecian style architecture and built of Catlow quarry stone from Burnley. Now only Nos. 20, 28-30 and 36 remain. Re-furbished in 2003-4

Waterloo Close (1980)

Waterloo Farm (1848-78) Livesey

Waterloo Mansions Livesey Branch Road thought to be the conversion of the Livesey New Inn into flats in the 1940s which had previously been a workhouse

Waterloo Mill (Captain's Mill) Stakes Hall Albert Street Mill Hill built by Captain W H Graham owned by Adam Bullough (1870) manufacturer also Waterloo Mill Co (1870) manufacturers then James Porter (1878) and J & J Porter Brothers (1902-30) cotton spinners & manufacturers

Waterlow (Watterlow) (1851) Feniscowles

Waterside Mill owned by Adam Bullough (1870) manufacturer

Watford Street (1929-80) Richmond Hill

Watling Close (1980)

Watson's Buildings (1870-1912) Oswald Street / Richmond Hill leading from the junction of Victoria Street and Charlotte Street. Nos 1-27 and 2

Watson Street (1903) 2 Lindley Street Mill Hill 16-38

Waverley Place (1912) off Carnarvon Road

Waverley Road (1966)

Waves (1836) farm near Seven Acre Ramsgreave

Waves Blakey Moor Blackburn's Water Fun centre costing £3.5m was built by Blackburn Borough Council through its Inner Area programme funds and was officially opened in August 1986 by Princess Anne. Built by Shepherd Construction Ltd. and designed by architects Faulkner Browns. It incorporated a Bondi Waves machine and a 210ft. spiraling flume with a constant temperature of 84F. The flamingo pink tubular water flume was replaced in 1996. Closed 22/2/2015 and replaced by new £13.5m sports and swimming complex (2015)

                                                                                                            see Blackburn Sports and Leisure Centre

Weasel (1898) farmhouse in Tockholes

Weavers (1851) Livesey

Weavers' Association (1897) 1 Clayton Street                                                 secretary J Cross (1897)

Weekly Standard and Express 41 Church Street (1903)       manager: Samuel Thomas Weston (1903)

Weighbridge (1820) Darwen Street near the bridge constructed by Messrs Thwaites, Hick and Rothwell of Bolton. Removed to Nuttall & Co Lion Bewery in 1910 and re-modelled by Messrs Crossley, Regent Works, Salford Bridge.

Weights and Measures office (Borough) Town Hall (1870-1960s); Police Station (1951)                      

chief inspector: Joseph Potts (1870) James Farrell (1897)  James Riley (1909-15) inspector: H J Collins (1924-42) W Eastham (1951)

Weights and Measures office (county) 37 Irving Place (1909); Chapel Street (1930-51)               

            inspector: A J Bruce (1909) R T Wilding (1930-5) J Hopkins (1939) Patrick Rochford (1942-51)

Weir Street (1870) Back Lane (Mincing Lane) / 82 Darwen Street Nos 2-12

Welfare (Model) Centre 133 Preston New Road (1935-42) matron: Miss C Pollicott (1935)

Well Street (1836-1966) High Street No 3

Wellbeck Avenue (1958) 346 Whalley Old Road

Wellesley Street (1878-1980) 7 Bank Top Nos 9 and 16/20

Wellfield mill Whalley Old Road Cob Wall purchased by James Astley & Co of Bastwell (1868) later owned by Astley & Hinshelwood (1878) cotton manufacturers then T & J E Fielding (1894-1912) cotton manufacturers followed by Haworth Bros & Co (Blackburn) Ltd (1922-39) cotton manufacturers

Wellfield Road (private) previously Rover Street / late 12 Granville Terrace Nos 7-41 and 2-12

Wellington (1848-1958) Livesey Branch Road

Wellington Buildings (1870-1949) 70 King William Street

Wellington Court (1980)

Wellington Mill Burnley Road owned by Levi Evans (1900-39) doublers. L Evans & Sons Ltd (1958)

Wellington (New) mill Nova Scotia owned by Robert Hopwood & Son (1852) cotton spinner & manufacturer later owned by W D Coddington & Sons (1870-1930 exors) cotton spinners & manufacturers with Ordnance Crossfield and New mills 96,470 spindles and 1817 looms. 12,956 spindles when it closed. Was used as an army barracks during the second world war

Wellington Road (1903) 28 Hancock Street Nos 1-23

Wellington Road (1878-1980) Livesey Nos 1 and 310-328/344/362

Wellington Road Farm (1878) Livesey

Wellington Street (St. John's) (1870) Strawberry Bank Nos 1-37 and 2-44

Wellington Street (1851) Bank Top

Wellington Street (1870) Sharples Street Nova Scotia

Wellington Street (1878-1966) Livesey Nos 1-61

Wellington Terrace (1878-1930) Cherry Tree Nos 1-7

Wellington Terrace (1852) Strawberry Bank

Wellington Works Eanam L Evans Ltd (1922)

Well Street (1843-72) High Street/Calender Street 

Well Street Mill Spring Gardens (1852) owned by John Ainsworth cotton spinner & manufacturer

Welsh Church (1930) Lord Street West

Wensley Fold C of E School (1903-47) Apple Street junior mixed and infants; Wensley Street (1951) junior mixed and infants;

Wensley Fold CEP School (1992-99) Manor Road (previously Crosshill Special School)

Wensley Fold Farm                                                                                                Roger Wensley (pre1777)

Wensley Fold 'Blunderbus' a time signal fired by the watchman every night at 9.00pm

Wensley Fold (Fould) (1658) Garden Street / Wensley Street on the then western boundary of the town where the oldest spinning mill in Blackburn was built in 1777 by Dr Joseph Lancaster and was sold in 1795 before being demolished during disturbances. Was re-erected and owned from 1810 by Thomas Lund of Ribchester (T & R Lund & J Foster (1828-9) but ran into financial difficulties and closed down in 1845. It was one of the largest in 1823 employing 320 operatives. Victoria Boiler Works of Yates & Thom (1903)

Wensley Fold mills owned by William Forrest (1870-8 exors) cotton spinner & manufacturer; R T Knowles (1887-91) 408 looms shirtings & jacconettes then John Shorrock cotton manufacturers (1894) Watson & Taylor Ltd (1902) cotton manufacturers followed by Eastwood & Sager Ltd (1912-30) cotton manufacturers

Wensley Fold new mill owned by A A and A Birtwistle (1891-4) 690 looms dhooties. Birtwistle & Fielding Ltd (1902-58) had 210 automatic looms in 1958

Wensley Fold Primary School founded 1845.  

Wensley Road (1980) previously Wensley Street named after mother of Dr Joseph Lancaster

                                                                                                                        see Lancaster Place

Wensley Street (1851) Gas Street / below 15 Addison Street Nos 3-247 and 2/44-338

Wesley Street (1903-80) 334 Whalley Range Nos 1-29

Wesleyan Associated Chapel (1870) Lower Darwen

Wesleyan Chapel (Methodist) Chapel Street erected in 1816

Wesleyan Chapel (Methodist) Clayton Street was built and opened by John Wesley 1785-6 re-built in 1816 Replaced by new chapel which opened on 15th January 1882 at a cost of £4,500 accommodating 850 persons

Wesleyan Chapel Griffin Street foundation stone laid on 28/5/1881 by William Shaw of Witton opened by Rev W T Radcliffe of Manchester on Thursday 14/9/1882 designed by Mr G Woodhouse of Bolton costing £3,000 closed on Sunday 27/3/1977 Meetings had been held over a shop on Witton Parade

Wesleyan Chapel Harwood Street was erected in 1874.

Wesleyan Chapel Preston New Road was a gothic edifice designed by W S Varley of Blackburn. It was erected in 1878 at a cost of £10,000.

Wesleyan Day and Sunday Schools erected on St Peter's Street in 1862. Designed by W Botterill of Hull and built by Dent and Marshall of Blackburn at a cost of £1,800. The buildings consisted of a mixed school, an infants school and a detached house for the headmaster.

Wesleyan Free Church Regent Street (1889) seating 520

Weslyan Methodists Duke's Hall Duke's Brow arrived here in 1874 and left to go to new Trinity Chapel in Preston New Road 1879.

Wesleyan Mission St. Peter Street (1951)

Wesley Hall Methodist Church (Blackburn Central Mission) Feilden Street opened by John Sharples on 25th March 1972

West Bank (1903-29) 23 Shear Brow

West Bank (1878) 92 Preston New Road home of the Thwaites' family

West Bank Cottage (1878) Whalley Range/Cedar Street

Westbury Gardens (1980)

Westbury Gardens United Reformed Church Bank Hey Lane South

West End Catholic Youth & Community Centre opened 1943

1/3/5 Northgate and 2/4 Astley Gate (1943-66); Mincing Lane;           warden: Rev. James Forrestall (1947-51)

West End Terrace (1903-30) 8/10 Palmer Street

Western School (1838)

Westholme School founded in 1923 by Miss E H Singleton as a preparatory school for girls and junior boys, moved to Billinge House 167 Preston New Road in 1930. By 1956 the school had extended into Beardwood Bank, Preston New Road for a girls' seniors department under the leadership of Mr & Mrs A R Rouse later to become the middle school. Further expansion took place into Wilmar Lodge, Meins Road and became the girls' upper school. It has an indoor swimming pool, 6 outdoor tennis and netball courts, a large sports hall comprising 4 badminton courts, tennis and netball courts. A music centre and a new concert hall              

principal: E H Singleton (1923-47); A R Rouse MA FGGS (1951);head mistress: Mrs L Croston (1990-1); Dr Joan Bond BSc PhD FRIC

West Kiln Bank Cottage (1929-49) 229 Whalley Range

West Lancashire Railway Co. (1889-97) office 17 New Market Street West agent: William Norris (1897)

West Leigh Road (1958) Lammack Road

West Lodge (1878) entrance to Corporation Park West Park Road

Westminster Court (1980)

West Park (1881) 43 Alexandra Road

West Park Road (1870) Preston New Road Nos 1-11

West Street & back (1851-72) Northgate

West Street (1870-1966) Dixon Street / 21 Pink Street Bank Top Nos 9-21 and 10-28

West Street (1929) Feniscowles

West View (1881) Cherry Tree

West View (1878) Mill Hill Livesey / Archibald Street / Francis Street

West View (1878) 22 Shear Bank Road

West View (1881) 132 Whalley Road Seven Trees / 204 Whalley New Road facing Walnut Street

West View (1878-1980) 60 Redlam Witton Nos 1-29 and 2-18

West View (1903-66) Revidge

West View Place (1929) (Double Street) 20 Revidge nos. 1-29 consecutively Grade 2 listed in 1974

At least 18 dwellings have sign of being loomshops

West View Terrace (1929) 66 Blackburn Street

West View Terrace (built 1881-2003) 132 Shear Brow

West View Terrace (1918) Revidge Road

West Villa (1878) 63 Preston New Road

Westwood (1870) 18 East Park Road                             Richard Eccles, Thomas Mitchell Eccles (1870)

Westwood Road (1966)

Wet Jacket Terrace (1891-1949) Whitebirk Road Intack near traffic lights

Whalley Banks & back (1832) starts at 123 King Street previously known as Woolley Banks in 18th cent. Nos 1-83 and 2-86 Two terraces of some twenty shops have evidence of having been loomshops

Whalley Banks (mills) shed (Thunder & Leetnin') (1824) Pump Street owned by Livesey, Rodgett & Co. (1824-70) cotton spinners also Towers & Coupe (1870) manufacturers then L Porter & Co (1878) later by John Coupe and Son cotton manufacturers (1894) with Church Bridge mill Church 300 looms dhooties twills handerkerchiefs and stripes. Thomas Slater & Co with Havelock mill 1049 looms best shirtings (1894). Yates & Carmichael (1902) cotton manufacturers followed by Whalley Banks Mill Co Ltd (1912-5) cotton manufacturers. Bell Beaming Co Ltd (1922-39) had taken over. In January of that year the mill was storm damaged and 18 months later on 30 May 1940 was destroyed by fire putting 250 people out of work. The factory was re-built with a 5 storey spinning mill (enlarged (1944) with weaving shed alongside

Whalley Coalpitts (1750)

Whalley New Road (1891) Whalley New Road Manufacturing Co Ltd 250 looms shirtings (1891)

Whalley New Road (1870) Whalley Road nicknamed 'The Devil's Road' because of its number A666. Was opened in 1820 having been built by the Turnpike Trust Starts 103 Larkhill to Brownhill Nos 1-455 and 2-522

Whalley Old Road (1851) 32 Whalley New Road Nos 1a-303 and 10-356 Nos 106-116 built by Haydock 1852 demolished 1980s

Whalley Range (1870) starts at (71) 61 Randal Street Nos 1-261 and 2-360

Whalley Range Domestic Institute (1910-22)

Whalley Range Presbyterian Church (1900)

Whalley Range Presbyterian School (1903) mixed and infants

Whalley Range Terrace (1929) 235 Whalley Range

Whalley Road (1851-78) Larkhill / Penny Street

Whalley Street (1851-1980) Willham Street / Whalley Road / 48 Blackburn Street Nos 1-81 and 10-64

Whalley Terrace (1966) Livesey

Wharf Street (1878-1980) Higher Barn Street Nos 4-8

Wharf Street mill Eanam James Sharples & Company with Garden Street mill (1887) 848 looms fine shirtings cambrics & jacconettes. Thomas Webster cotton manufacturer (1894) then owned by Birtwistle & Oddie (1912) cotton spinners & manufacturer

Wheat Field (1772)

Wheat Sheaf (1851)

Whinfield House (1878) Preston New Road home of the Hornby family (1929) built by William Dickinson ironfounder

Whinfield Place (1966) Preston New Road

Whinfield Terrace (1903-30) Revidge Road 

Whinney (Whinny) Edge (1750-1958) Haslingden Road site of Blackburn Union Workhouse now Queen's Park Hospital.

Whinney (1872) Christ Church Parish

Whinney Edge Farm (1878-1956) Old Bank Lane                                           William Rawlinson (1878)

Whinney Field (1739) top of Duke's Brow

Whinney Fields Farm (1900-58) Old Bank Lane

Whinney (Whinny), Winney) Lane (1832) Seven Acres Lammack No 3 143 and ' The Nook ' terrace all appear to have been loomshops

Whinney Lane Farm (1878-1996)                                                                       Robert Chadwick (1832)

Whitby Drive (1958) off Fairhaven Road

White Barn Doors Farm (1836-1929) at the junction of Whitebirk Road and Hereford Road Intack                                                                                                                              William Livesey (1870)

White Road (1903) off Wycollar Road 2 houses (1903)

Whitebirk (Whitbirke, Whiteberk, Whiteberke, Whytebirke, Whytbyrke, Whytebyrke, Whyttbyrke, White Burch) from Hwite-byrc meaning the White (or silver) Birch (1623) was an estate comprising 48 acres of meadow pasture and woodland with messuages dye works and hereditaments which was sold on the 25th February 1835 by Thomas Holme Maude. Separately sold were a dwelling house, 2 farmhouses with barns and shippons, and several cottages. Burnley Road Nos 2-30                Thomas Brwer (1750) James Smith (1832)

Whitebirk Bleach Works (1893)                                                              Owner William Barnes b circa 1834

Barnes Brothers Ltd (1958)

Whitebirk boatyard

Whitebirk Colliery (1872) owned by Darwen Mining Co. Co-op (1883); Darwen Industrial Co-op Soc. Ltd. (1883-90);  W H Shaw (1890);

Whitebirk Drive (1929) Arterial Road Whalley Old Road to Burnley Road

Whitebirk Farm (1870-1902)                                                                     William Barnes (1870)

Whitebirk Industrial Estate opened in 1938 nearing completion in 1979

Whitebirk Oil & Grease Works (1903) John Eccles (1903)

Whitebirk pit (1865-96) sited to the right of the Red Lion public house was operated by the Darwen Mining Co Ltd who went bankrupt and the mine was sold in (1883) to the Over Darwen Industrial Co-operative Society Ltd and at this time was called the Half Yard or Mountain Mine. They were the only Co-operative Society in England ever successfully to work a coal mine. Worked by William & C Shaw & Co (1896)

Whitebirk Power Station opened in 1921 on 22nd October by Lord Derby. A £2m extension was completed in 1945. It was closed in 1976 and the cooling towers were demolished in May 1982. In 1984 go-ahead was given to develop the site as a retail park.

Whitebirk Road (1903) Accrington Road Nos 17-33

Whitehall Road (1958) Revidge

Whitehaven Close (1980)

White Hill Farm (1851) Feniscowles

Whitehead Street (1875-1980) Addison Street / Belle Vue Street Nos 1-63 and 2-70

Whiteley Avenue (1929) Green Lane

Whitendale Crescent (1980)

Whittaker Hall Farm (1996) Sough Lane Guide

Whittaker Street (1878-1980) 16 Johnston Street Nos 1-57 and 2-68

Wicker Street (1851)

Wilkinson House a reception centre for children temporarily in local authority care was opened in 1963 providing accommodation for 20 children

Wilkinson Street (1878-1929) 97 Wensley Street

Willan, Thomas Simmons Street (1964) steam confectionery works

Willham Street (1870-1966) Whalley Range

William Deacons Bank Ltd.

King William Street Blackburn (1903-15)                                                            manager: E A Manley (1915)

48 Church Street (1939)                                                                             manager: James B Walmsley (1939)

William Griffiths Court (1980)

William Henry Street & back (1851-1958) 27 Montague Street Nos 3-45 and 6-22

William Herbert Street (1903-80) 154 Whalley Range Nos 4-12

William Holt Street (pre1912) now Highbury Place Shear Brow may have been named after a freeholder of 1820 who was a grocer living on Shire Brow 7 premises

William Hoole Street (1860) was Town Hall Buildings became Exchange Street late 1860s

William Hopwood Street (1870-1980) 13 Audley Lane Nos 1-31 and 4-72

William Jackson Street (1870-1958) 62 William Hopwood Street

William Livesey Street (1878-1958) Stakes Hall Place Livesey

William Street (1852-1980) Whalley Banks / Robert Street Nos 1-45 and 2/8

Williams Drive                     Roman Road

Willis Road (1929) off Sawrey Road Cherry Tree named after relative of Feilden's of Witton

Willoughby Street (1870) 4 Shear Brow Nos 2-14

Willoughby Terrace (1872) 4 Shear Brow St. John's

Willow House (1848) Livesey Branch Road near Moor Gate Fold

Willows (1836) Lammack

The Willows (1881-1929) Park Crescent

Willow Street (1903) 176 Whalley New Road 4 businesses

Willow Street Mill owned by Riley Thompson & Co Ltd (1912) cotton manufacturers

Willow Tree (1851)

Willow Trees Drive (1958) 96 Lammack Road

Wilpshire (Whilpshire, Wilpeshire, Wilpshawe, Wilpshir, Wilpshyre, Wylpshire) (1609)

Wilpshire Riding School (1939-51) Whalley New Road                          riding mistress: Miss N M Grant (1939)

Wilpshire Road (1966)

Wilpshire Street (1853-1958) 16 Anvil Street

Wilson Street (1888-1980) 9 Hamilton Street Nos 2-68

Wilworth (Willworth, Willworthe, Wyllworth, Wyllworthe) (1614) Pleckgate Road

Wilworth Avenue (1929) off Pleckgate Road

Wilworth Crescent (1951) 220 Pleckgate Road

Willworth Estate (1750)

Wilworth Fold Farm (1902)

Wilworth Farm (1870-1902) Little Harwood                   Thomas Brogden (1870) Richard Webster (1870)

Wimberley Street (1878-1980) 44 Shear Brow Nos 3-89 and 4-124

Wimberley Terrace (built 1873) 24 Shear Brow

Winchester Street (1903-80) 30 Queen's Park Road Nos 3-35 and 2-8

Windermere Close (1980)

Windham Street (1870-1980) 84 Lower Audley Street Nos 1-27 and 4-38

Windham Street Mill Park Place Spinning Co Ltd (1922)

(Old) Windmill erected in 1822 by Samuel Derbyshire who farmed the Audley Hall estate. Was used until the early 1880s when Houlker Watson & Sons bought it from the trustees of John Polding and used the land in 1887 to open their Windmill Works.

Windmill Works Dock Street opened 1887 by Houlker Watson & Sons blacksmith's and wheelwrights.

Window Cleaners' Federated Association 111 Redlam (1913)

President: John Warner (Blackburn);                                                      general secretary: Francis Mack (Blackburn)

Windsor Close (1966)

Windsor Hall part of the Public Halls opened in 1962

Windsor Road (1980) Revidge Road

Windsor Road (1966) Knuzden Brook

Windy Bank (1872) St Michael's Parish

Windygates (1929) 45 Preston new Road

Winmarleigh Street (1929) Accrington Road

Winmarleigh Walk (1980)

Winney Edge (1851) Shadsworth

Winney Field (1836) Shadsworth

Winnipeg Close (1980)

Winston Hall (1870) 20 East Park Road                                                             John Pickop (1870)

Winston Road (1929) off Linden Road

Winterburn Road (1966)

Winter Street (1836-1966) 97 New Park Street / Blakey Street Snigbrook Nos 13-49 and 2-12

Winter Villa (1870) 61 Preston New Road                      James Edleston Beardsworth, William Greenwood (1870)

Withers Street (1878-1980) 127 Higher Audley Street Nos 15-95 and 2-94

Witney Avenue (1980)

Witton (Wytton, Wyttonn) (1246)

Witton Avenue (1925) (Spring Lane)

Witton Bank (1870-1958) Griffin Street                                                  James Thompson JP (1870)

Witton C of E School (1947-51) Redlam infants

Witton Congregational church sunday school & school (1884-1969)         Football team 1921

Witton Cottage (1929-49) 99 Redlam

Witton Country Park with visitor centre opened in 1981.

Witton Estate  Blackburn Corporation purchased 485 ½ acres including the timber from Major-General Feilden in July 1947 at a cost of £64,000 of which, £35,000 had been donated to the borough by Mr R E Hart.

Witton Estate Office New Market Street (1870-89) 11 Richmond Terrace (1897-1951) closed in 1976

business transferred to Oxfordshire                    

steward: Thomas Howard (1878-85) R J Howard (1889-97) agent: R J Howard (1903-15) R H Howard

(1924-30) William Howard (1930-51)

Witton Eyes (E'es) Farm (1848-1958) area covered from Preston Old Road to Spring Lane and then to the river Darwen the house was demolished in 1940

Witton Farm House (1851)

Witton Gardens (1851)

Witton Girls' School or Witton School of Industry founded 1845 in Higher Witton Road used the same premises as the Day and Sunday Schools at Witton Stocks demolished in 1950s.

Witton Hall (1272-1852) delapidated

Witton Hall Milk Farm (1803-81)

Witton House

Built in 1800 for the Feilden family replaced an older building in Witton Park The estate was sold to the Borough of Blackburn in 1947 (see above) and the house demolished in November 1952 through dry rot and decay.                                                                                                    Joseph Feilden JP (1870)

Witton Industrial Co-operative Society Ltd (1870-8) grocers etc Vauxhall Street Witton

                                                                                                            secretary: Charles Mitchell (1878)

Witton mill (Fissick / Physic) owned by Harrison Bothers & Co (1870-1904) cotton manufacturers 808 looms shirtings then William Walker Sons & Co (1912) cotton spinners & manufacturers followed by Witton Mill Co Ltd (1939) cotton manufacturers

Witton Parade (1872-1980) 85 Bank Top Witton Nos 1/19-127 and 58-108

Witton Parish Council first met 4th December 1894 and absorbed by Blackburn 27th March 1934

Witton Park Cycling & Athletics track opened by Alderman G Eddie leader of Blackburn Council in June 1958. New £2.3m community sports facility opened on 28th April 2014

Witton Park City Learning Centre (2003) Witton Park School          see City Learning Centres

Witton Park Estate Office                                                             see Witton Estate Office

Witton Park Farm (1939-42)

Witton Park County High School (1958-2011) Buncer Lane formed in 3rd September 1958 and 1968 by merging Witton Park Secondary Modern School and Blackburn High School for Girls. Re-built as part of Blackburn's Building Schools for the Future to designs by Studio E architects and opened 10th September 2012 the official opening by Jack Straw MP taking place in July 2013; awarded  ' Civic Trust Awards ' plaque 2014;

Witton Park Roller Skating Rink opened 31 July 1909 and sold by auction in 1919 had 12,250 sq. ft. of roller skating rink. The Territorial Army was billeted there in 1914. Became HQ for Volunteer Athletic Force (Home Guard) building purchased by Scapa Dryers of Haslingden in 1927

Witton Park Secondary Modern School Buncer Lane opened its doors for the first time to pupils on 2nd September 1957.                                                                              see Witton Park High School

Witton Place (1848-1929) 13 Redlam Witton

Witton Primitive Methodist Church

Witton Day School was founded 1833 and enlarged in 1858 used the same premises as the Sunday School at Witton Stocks

Witton Stocks (1724-1958) Witton Village 164 Redlam stone stocks at bottom of the old Buncer lane directly opposite to the site of the Witton Conservative Club

Witton Stocks Farm (1942)

Witton Subscription Bowling Green (Club) Hawkshead Street (1912-51);

secretary: J Entwistle (1915); E Partington (1930); J Hacking (1935); A J Martindale (1937-51);

president: Dr R J Clarke (1937);

Witton township (1872)

Witton United Reformed Church (1849) closed 1999

Witton Township/Village (1658-1929) 164 Redlam

Witton Vicarage (1929) Preston New Road

Witton Village (1903) Nos 1-13

Witton Wesleyan School Chapel Griffin Street. Is in the Darwen circuit. It was built in 1882 by Mr. G Woodhouse of Bolton at a cost of £3000 and will seat 710 persons. The foundation stone was laid on 28th May 1881 by Mr. William Shaw of Witton. It was opened on Thursday 14th September 1882 by the Rev. W T Radcliffe of Manchester. An organ was installed in 1891 and the new school opened 1902.

Wolseley Street (1888-1980) 13 Longshaw Street Nos 1-31 and 4-10

Women's Voluntary Service 16 St. Peter's Street (1951)

Wood Bank Farm (1902-66) St. Thomas' Ward                                                J Cranshaw (1966)

Woodbine Place (1912) St. Silas' Road

Woodbine Road (1888) Revidge Road Nos 5-67 and 6-88

Woodbury Avenue (1929) Longshaw Lane

Woodbury Street (1903) Nos 1-25 and 2-18

Woodcock Hill Farm (1851) Pleasington                                                           Betty Whitehead (1870)

Woodfield (1929) Clarence Street

Woodfield (Woodfold) mill (Gawt o't' seet) Mill Hill Livesey owned by Timothy Marsden then William Brindle & Co (1878) cotton manufacturers; Marsden Brothers with Turner Street Mill (1887) 835 looms shirtings & dhooties. Marsden Brothers (1891) 288 looms shirtings and dhooties. John Yates cotton manufacturer (1894) becoming John Brindle & Co (1903-4) cotton manufacturers then Codling & Hodgkinson (1902-15) cotton spinners & manufacturers

Woodfield Terrace (1912-30) Cherry Tree

Woodfold Estate Ltd. Eanam (1930)                                                       agent: T Markland (1930)

Woodfold Hall was built by Henry Sudell in 1799 with stone from Abbott Brow quarry in Mellor. Bought by Daniel Thwaites in 1877 succeeded by Elma Yerburgh and then Lord Alvingham All fixtures and fittings sold off in 1942 and left to become a ruin

Woodfold Place (1929) previously Broom Street New Bank Road

Woodgate Avenue (1929) off Meins Road

Woodgate(s') Farm (1817-1942) Witton

Woodgates Road (1958) Meins Road

Woodgate Road (1929) Wycollar

Woodland(s) Farm (1930-9)

Woodland Place (1912-80) Tottenham Road Lower Darwen

The Woodlands (1888) 4/6 Shear Bank Road

The Woodlands (1903-29) 518 Whalley New Road 3 houses

Woodlands (1870) Livesey                                                                                   George Whiteley (1870)

Woodlands Avenue (1980)

Woodland Scout Group 8 Shear Brow (1951); The Woodlands Shear Bank Road scoutmaster for most of its existence Harold Burrows

Woodland View (1903-29) 518 Whalley New Road 8 houses

Woodland Villas (1903-30) Queen's Road

Woodlea Road (1966)

Wood Nook Mill Limbrick owned by Higson & Sharples (1878) cotton manufacturers

Woodside Avenue (1966)

Woodside Grove (1980)

Wood Street (1870) Birley Street

Wood Street (1851-1958) 10 Throstle Street

Woodstock Crescent (1980)

Woodville (1878) 21 Duke's Brow

Woodville Road (1929) off St Stephen's Road

Wood Yates Milk Farm (1805) Billinge

Wool(d)ridge Playing Fields (1938) Pleckgate Road                          see Pleckgate Playing Fields

Wool(l)ey Banks (1724) now known as Whalley Banks

Woolley Bridge (1724) on King Street now known as King Street Bridge

Woolwich Street (1870-1966) Harwood Street / 58 Ordnance Street Nos 1/37-53 and 14-54

F W Woolworth opened their penny bazaar store in Church Street in 1926. Extended in 1938 & 1960. Closed down in 1986. Building leased by T J Hughes of Liverpool for 20 years.

Worcester Road (1958) Whitebirk Road

Workers' Educational Association Blackburn & District Branch (1938-45)                      

                                                         Hon Gen Secretary J E Taylor (1938-9); President: G H Kirby JP (1938-9);

(Union) Workhouse the Moor Grimshaw Park (1764-91); Haslingden Road (1864-97);     

                                                                                                                        see Blackburn Poor Law Union

Governor: Edward France (1824); Master: Frederick Tinker; matron: Mrs. Tinker (1852) master: Richard Sowerbutts (1878-81) matron Mrs M Sowerbutts (1878) John Wilkinson (1897-1909) C H Roberts (1924-5)

The first workhouse was built in 1764 on the Town's Moor. It was very soon extended and provided work for 128 looms. Buildings built on Haslingden Road at a cost of £30,000 in 1864 to house the lunacy wards, vagrant & probationary wards and sick and fever wards were demolished in January 2002. They catered for 700 inmates

Workhouse Lane (1847) previously Merchant Street Grimshaw Park later Hutchinson Street demolished 2003 Workhouse erected here (1791)

Working Boys' Home 1 Paradise Lane (1889); 4 Audley Range (1915);    secretary: James Dixon (1889)

Working Men's Club (Audley) 54 Scotland Road (1924-51);

       secretary: T Carr (1924-5) H Clarke (1930-5) A Cottam (1939-51)

Working Men's Club (Bank Top) 1/3 West Street (1930-51); Pink Street (1942-51);                                 

secretary: J Maudsley (1925-47) John Tomlinson (1951)

Working Men's Club Beech Mount 639 Whalley New Road (1924-51)           

secretary: C Battersby (1924-5) H Pemberton (1930) W Wheatley (1939) John Pleat (1951)

Working Men's Club Beechwood Road (1942-51)

secretary: H Bolton (1942) E Rawcliffe (1947) John Peat (1951)

Working Men's Club (Central) Cort Street (1924-5)                             secretary: J Lenhen (1924-5)

Working Men's Club (Cob Wall) 86/88 Whalley Old Road corner of Peter Street    see Cob Wall

Working Men's Club 1/3 Bank Terrace Cherry Tree (1903-47);

secretary: Joseph Seed (1903) Tom Farrow (1909-15) P Jepson (1924-5)

Working Men's Club (Ewood) 318/320 Bolton Road (1930-51)                    

secretary: B Aspinall (1930-51)

Working Men's Club (Furthergate)                                                                     closed 28/2/2014

6 Cherry Street (1925-closed 28/2/2014)                 secretary: A Heyes (1930-5) Jim Dempsey (2014) member 37yrs

Barnes Street (1930-51)                                                                             secretary: H Wardleworth (1942-51)

Working Men's Club Greaves Street (1915)                                          secretary: J Taylor (1915)

Working Men's Club (Longshaw Unity) Bryan Street (1909-2002); 

secretary: J C Dyson (1909) J H Collins (1912) G Walkden (1915) W H Higham (1924-30) Frank Foley (1935) J Walkden (1939-47) Alfred Farmer (1951) A Farnworth (1951)

Working Men's Club (Mill Hill) St. James Street (1939-51)                 secretary: F Martindale (1939-51)

Working Men's Club (N U R C A) 45 Ainsworth Street (1930-42)                

            secretary: J Litherland (1930) A Tindall (1935-42)

Working Men's Club (N U W) Tontine Street (1935-42)          secretary: George Jane (1935-42)

Working Men's Club (Oddfellows) 7,9/11 Daisy Street.                                  secretary: William Madden (1903)

Working Men's Club (Temperence) 52 Park Road.                          secretary: John Lang (1903) Hy Walsh (1909)

Working Men's Club (Orchard) 141/3 Whalley New Road (1910-51);

     secretary: J E Bowling (1912-27) George Barnes (1930-5) Levi Dunkerley (1939-51)

Working Men's Club (Painters) Victoria Street (1935)                         secretary: A Dawson (1935)

Working Men's Club Pringle Street (1939-47)  secretary: H Smith (1939-42) William Charnock (1947)

Working Men's Club (St. Paul's) 104 Montague Street (2/3/1914-2014);   

       secretary: H Balshaw (1924-30) C Shaw (1935-42) John Mooney (1947-51)

Working Men's Club Fore(shaw) Street Lower Darwen.        

    secretaries: A Almond and C Barron (1912) J Farnworth (1915)

Working Men's Club United Vehicle Workers Kendal Street (1924-5)         secretary: G W Fennell (1924-5)

Working Men's Club (Queen's Park) 84 Audley Range (1951)                   secretary: George Calderwood (1951)

Working Men's Institute Whalley Old Road (1924-30) Wilpshire;                 secretary: W Slater (1930)

Working Men's Temperance Club (Central) (1897-1900) St Peter Street  secretary: John Booth (1897) B Fury (1900)

52 Park Road (1897-1935)                                                                                                 sec John Lang (1897-1900)

3 Cowell Street (1897)

GUO Daisy Street (1897)                                                         sec D Cunningham (1897) James Nelson (1900)

Workshop for the Blind Thornber Street (1932-58) was administered by the Blind Persons Act Committee. Taken over from a voluntary organization in 1932 they provided employment for 40 blind persons. Men were engaged in brush and skip making and ladies on knitting. Retail stall in Market Hall (1951)

World's End (1843) farmhouse between Woodfold Park and Arley Brook

Worston Place (1912-80) Crompton Place / 6 Chatburn Street

Worston Place (1929) off Thomasina Place

Worston Place (1956) Ribblesdale Place

Worthington Estate (1750)                                                                                   Mr Sudall

Wraith Court (1851)

Wranglings (1824-72) area off Whalley banks nr St. Peter's Church

Wrangling Hipping Stones stepping stones across the Blakewater from Novas

Wrangling Mission Stout Street The Wrangling was altered and fitted as a ragged school and preaching place in 1870 sitting 140.

Wrigley Street (1851-1966) (49)61 Larkhill Brookhouse Nos 7/9 and 4-10 named after George Wrigley manager Blackburn Gas Light Company

Wrigley Street mill owned by Brookhouse Spinning Co Ltd (1891-1922) spinners 48,000 spindles (1891)

Wycollar (1866) Preston New Road built between 1866/7 the home of the Coddington family. Lodge built in 1869. Demolished shortly after 1930 leaving only the lodge at the bottom of Wycollar Drive

Wycollar Drive (1958) Preston New Road

Wycollar Road (1903) Revidge Road 6 houses

Wycollar Terrace (1903-30) 58 Revidge Road

Wyfordby Avenue (1958) took its name from a Leicestershire manor owned by the Yerburgh family

Wyndham Street (1966)

Wythburn Avenue (1980)

Yate Bank (Yate Banck, Yate Bancke, Yate Banke) (1608)

Yates' Buildings (1851-1958) 10 Birley Street

Yates Fold (1980)

Yates, William & John Canal Foundry (1864) engineers & boiler makers, millwrights, iron and brass founders

Yellow Hill Farm (1870)                                                                             Ann Moon (1870)

Yellow Hills Billinge End Road Pleasington beyond Billinge Hill

Ye Old White Bull Salford

Demolition began on 18th November 1959 to make way for town centre development. The public house dated back to 1750

Yew Street (1903) 43 Ash Street Nos 1/2

Yew Tree (1836) Beardwood Preston New Road

Yew Tree Cottage Toad Hole Preston New Road

Yew Tree Drive (1929) Arterial Road Preston New Road

Yew Tree Farm (1870-1942) Broken Stone Road Livesey                             James Coar (1870)

Yew Tree Inn Farm (1870) Preston New Road                                     Thomas Parker (1870-8)

York Crescent (1958) Parsonage Road

The Yorkshire Penny Bank Ltd. 40 Church Street, Blackburn (1903-15) 

manager: Walter Harvey (1903-12);Frank Pinder (1915); J Dixon (1939)

York Street (1870-1980) Christ Church / 80 Grimshaw Park Nos 1/11/17/25/35 and 2/10/44

York Street (1929-66) Feniscowles

York Terrace (1870-1947) 1 Shear Brow Nos 1-21                                          John Beardsworth (1870)

York Terrace (1903-80) Preston Old Road Feniscowles 4 houses

Young Men's Christian Association 13 Victoria Street (1896-1909) Sudell Cross (1909-12) Limbrick (1912-67) Edinburgh House Clarence Street / Shear Bank Road (1967-2005) 5 Wellington St St Johns (2005)

Gospel meetings were held in a large tent erected in a field on Revidge behind Corporation Park in June 1898.

YMCA building in Limbrick foundation stone laid on 9th may 1908 by Lord Kinnaird and opened 21st July 1909 at a cost of nearly £10,000 by Sir Harry Hornby. The billiards room had four tables and there was a canteen. The gymnasium was well attended also classes in Elocution, Advertising, Hygiene and Physiology, Singing, Orchestra, Chess and Draughts, Football and Cricket teams, Boxing and Physical Culture, Bible Classes etc. The concert hall had a seating capacity of 300.

Hon secretary: Henry Ward (1897) S Taylor (1903-9) T C White (1912) E Lloyd (1913) S Taylor (1915) J W Ball (1924-5) A C P Hughes (1930-5) R Sellers (1939-47) Douglas H Rowe (1951) John Brasier MBE (1958-67)

Young Men's Christian Association (junior)                                        asst. secretary: Ernest Lloyd (1912)

Young Men's Christian Association International Hostel Clarence Street with accommodation

Young Men's Institute (Holy Trinity) Trinity Street (1915)                   hon. sec. G Samuel (1915)

Young Men's Mental Improvement Society (1874) Shorrock Street

Young Men's Mutual Improvement Society Clayton Street Grimshaw Park (1870);

Young Street (1903-80) Watson Street Mill Hill Nos 1-7 and 2-20

Young Women's Christian Association 19 Richmond Terrace (1889-1912) 104 Montague Street (1912) Oak Street (1941-6) 15-15a Preston New Road (1915-64) acquired 1946 and opened by Mrs Violet Attlee wife of Prime Minister Clement Attlee. 3 West Park Road (1935) Oak Street (1939-42) Edinburgh House East Park Road (1964) opened by Lord Derby in 1967.

hon sec Mrs Bragg (1889); superintendent Mrs M Grimshaw (1894) Miss Eddleston (1897) principal: Miss M Coupe (1903): hon.sec: Miss Florence Whisler (1909) secretary: Miss Briggs (1912) Miss E Walton (1915)

Miss E Davidson (1935) Miss I M Hollely (1939) Miss F Westland (1942)

Young Women's Christian Association Club and Hostel 15 & 15a Preston New Road (1951)

           general secretary: Miss J Bancroft (1951) Miss J Drysdale Skinner (1951)

Youth Employment Bureau Richmond Terrace (1951-60) based in the Education Office

                                                                                                                        secretary: G F Hall (1951-60)

Youth Zone (2012) Jubilee Street officially opened by Prince Edward 7th February   chief executive Peter Little

Zebudah Street (1903) Parkinson Street Mill Hill 5 premises

Zion Chapel Montague Street demolished 1963

Zion Pentecostal Church Wensley Road

Zion Road (1929) Providence Street ​

​​back to top​​